Fun House Review

The Stooges: Fun House
Released: Jul 7, 1970
Genre: Hard Rock, Protopunk
Label: Elektra
This album has one of the best production qualities for all albums before 1971. The guitars and drums are very clear, and Iggy's voice is at the forefront. On the last 3 tracks the saxophone parts are very crisp and don't overpower the band.
 Lyrics: 8.3
 8.9
 8.1
 9.6
reviews (3) user comments vote for this album:
Fun House Reviewed by: bassplayer496, on december 11, 2006

Sound: Of The Stooges three classic albums ("The Stooges," "Fun House," "Raw Power") I would say this one has the best production. While "Raw Power" may be there best effort, the only available version is the so called "remastered" version, which has terrible sound. This album was a very different effort from the stooges, because along with there bluesy punk sound, it also adds jazzy saxophone on the title track and "1970," and raw screaming on "1970" and the title track. If you love punk, or really just rock in general, you should know the stooges, because Iggy Pop is one of rock's greatest frontmen, and this is an example of him in his prime. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty good, there's nothing epic about them, but they are better than the lyrics from most punk bands. Iggy talks about sex, being wasted, and just all the great stuff you expect him to talk about, I like the lyrics just fine, just look them up on Google and see what you think, there are no weak rhymes or rhyming words with themselves, just intelligent lyrics. They won't exactly make you sit back and think about a hidden message they might have, but they're just fine. Probably the most recognizable line from the song "1970" where he repeatedly chants "I feel alright!" // 8

Overall Impression: While this album is only thirty six minutes long, it's beautifully consistent and very worth the price. While every song is good, the best songs are "Down on the Street," "Loose," "1970," "Dirt," and the title track, but I promise you all of the songs are good and very diverse, not a weak or even a below average song on here. Overall, this might be my favorite stooges album, while "Raw Power" may be a "better" album, the production is so terrible it just detracts from the enjoyment and the beauty. This shows that The Stooges can be a vicious pre-metal band on songs like "1970" and "Fun House" and slow and bluesy on "Dirt" The Sex Pistols were not the first punk band, neither were the Ramones, with their debut in 1969, was the first, and in my opinion probably the second best, after The Clash. And if you like The Stooges, also check out MC5. Also, if you like this, check out the DVD they recently released, it has lots of great songs from here on it, with all the original members, and it's one of the best live shows I've ever heard. // 1

Fun House Reviewed by: voicebox101, on september 26, 2006

Sound: Realy good mixing. This is about the time Iggy was realy getting into drugs and he would snort pink cocaine in the studio, that's provably where all the wierd grunts and groans come from. The album has an ambient presence, when the producer got there, he took away all the sound dampenners for "sonic ambience" and it does benifit the sound. Overall, it sounds realy good and powerful. // 9

Lyrics: This is an issue of debate. Iggy was never the bes lyricist, but he gets the point across with gusto, and he's Iggy Pop! It gets kind of boring always hearing drugs sex and rock and roll though. The music and lyrics were ment for eachother. A good mix of art and dumb rock, not mind blowing, but good to rock out yo! // 7

Overall Impression: If this album was stolen, I would probably beat the guy who stole it and then burn him a copy, because no one should be without this album. The Stooges are one of the most underrated and most powerful groups of all time. Jack White called this "the greatest rock & roll album ever made." And I can't argue with that. // 10

Fun House Reviewed by: hippieboy444, on march 31, 2009

Sound: This album has one of the best production qualities for all albums before 1971. The guitars and drums are very clear, and Iggy's voice is at the forefront. On the last 3 tracks (1970, Funhouse, L.A Blues) the saxophone parts are very crisp and don't overpower the band. The best part of all this? Somehow, it sounds like they are playing just for you. Some of my favorite things about the band at this point is that Ron Asheton (R.I.P) learned how to play guitar with more confidence, and overall his style became more punk; Scott Asheton's drumming got more tight and groovy; Dave Alexander's bass became more punk and more complex, while (my favorite of all) is that Iggy final got some attitude and sings extremely well. From the scream on 'T.V Eye', to the screeching parts of '1970', he evolved much. Overall, a vast improvement from their debut album. // 10

Lyrics: Iggy rules; that's indisputable. The Stooges would not be the Stooges without him (not to belittle the importance of the rest of the band). While he is not the best songwriter, he doesn't have to be, because it's punk. The lyrics here are longer and more structured than their debut, and Iggy (as I said) sings with more attitude (alot more attitude). // 10

Overall Impression: I've owned this album for a whole day (currently) and I absolutely love it. If you own their debut, and you think that's awesome (which it is), buy this. It'll blow your mind. The maturing the band did between the two albums is immeasurable. All the songs are amazing (not to say some aren't weak I.e L.A Blues). And as the way to always close a good review, if it was lost/stolen, I'd buy it again without a thought (and maim the thief). // 10

Comments