Ready To Die review by The Stooges

• Released: Apr 29, 2013
The Stooges: Ready To Die

Iggy And The Stooges have done something a limited number of rock bands can ever hope to accomplish in a forty year musical career. Throughout the late '60s and early '70s, The Stooges dominantly took over the music scene with their signature form of rock and roll. Despite selling few copies of those three studio albums released during this time period, the band would go on to be named as one of the instrumental forces in the rise of punk and alternative rock genres. Although influential, the band received little to no attention back in their initial incarnation, and would go on to disband in '74.

It would take the band over three decades, but in 2004 The Stooges reformed, and three years later would become inspired to return into the studio to create their critically acclaimed comeback album, "The Weirdness". This newly reformed lineup featured the return of original members Scott and Ron Asheton, frontman Iggy Pop, and a more evolved, brash-sounding rock sound. As with any band who took a long hiatus, it's one thing to create a comeback album. It's completely another to follow it up, and now six years later The Stooges are doing exactly this, with their new studio album, "Ready To Die".

Throughout all 11 new compositions, The Stooges it seems are making a more conscious effort to create a purely nostalgic record, and you're first hit by this realization as soon as the first guitar chords to "Burn" reach your ears. Wah-wah pedal soaked electric guitar riffs are wildly racing about, as Iggy repetitively chants "Burn, Burn" throughout most of the song. From there, we have such similarly hard hitting tracks as "Sex And Money" and "Job", both of which showcase some creative guitar work. The use of vocal and instrument sound effects helps provide the entire album with that early '70s classic rock feel, and really helps give "Ready To Die" that final touch that drives it well over the edge, and should leave any established fan more than please with this latest outing.

Throughout "Ready To Die", lead vocalist Iggy Pop mostly sticks to his lower register, that to be honest bears some strengthy similarities to that of David Bowie. When he does reach into his higher range, as he does towards the end of the album's opening track "Burn", there are very few details that separate these new songs from those off of The Stooges' earlier efforts. Either way, Iggy's singing style proves to be both a consistent and reliable factor, that leaves little room, if any, for complaints.

When it comes to this new album from Iggy and The Stooges, the band truly knocks it out of the park. While most 40 year old rock bands are out playing their classic hits live night after night, or creating easily forgettable covers albums, The Stooges are creating new music, and great music at that. For any fan of their earlier albums, or any classic rock fan in general, this is definitely an album to keep your eye out for, and will have you cranking the volume up to 10 in no time.

thkoby
    The Weirdness was ****ing awful, and from what I've heard above they seemed to have succeeded in replicating it.
    Lugas
    The name itself..."The Weirdness". Theres something about it that really pisses me off. What the f*ck?!
    swave75
    I agree. The Weirdness was not good. I will say this one is a bit better. I really like the last two songs "Beat the Guy" and "The Departed". The acoustic feel. Wish they could have made the whole album like that. James Williamson can still jam. There was talk about maybe recording some of the songs they never got to do while they were Iggy and the Stooges. I hope they don't do that. Iggy can't really sing like that anymore. All that said Ready to Die isn't that bad.
    Anjohl
    Oh. My. God. My Stooges are back! James ****ing Williamson people! I am sorry, but if you dislike this album, or compare it in any way to the mediocre "The Weirdness", you aren't a fan.
    Gerard Way Jr
    Nostalgia seems to color most of UG's featured reviews on older artists, and 8.7 IS a little high. Plus...well...review's not exactly informative. The album itself is still pretty damn slick, definitely in the 6.7 - 7.3 range.
    vppark2
    Oh great, the topless skinny old man is still making music.
    katalyzt13
    your goal today is to troll all the featured reviews? I've seen your comments on the other reviews and just wondering...
    vppark2
    Well, I think Iggy speaks for himself going around everywhere without a shirt on like I wanna see his wrinkled body. What else is there to it??
    josebarria0
    well he's an artist... that's what artists do.. would you rather see him in a suit and tie?
    vppark2
    he does it everywhere all the time, and in his music videos and hes an old fart (sorry man), but its not like I see Steven Tyler or Mick Jagger like that.
    florence007
    It's his style man. Why should he go changinf it for the sake of an insecure, juvenile animae fan such as yourself? Also if it came down to being forced to choose to sit through any of those three prancng around topless, I'd sett;e for Iggy any day (Jagger and especially Tyler would be down right disturbing)
    Gerard Way Jr
    If you appear on more than one thread per day, apparently you get your ass handed to you in thumbs-downs. I'm a big fan of Iggy and definitely of the Stooges, but there's nothing wrong with vppark saying otherwise. The ratings system is such a beautiful representation of the 12 year old bitching all over UG. So while I don't agree, I thumbs-upped.
    TheBigRobboUniq
    I stand by my opinion that The Weirdness was actually a fairly good album, this though is better. I love hipster critics who lambast and mock songs like Job, one deadly razor edged piece of work right here