The Story So Far review by The Story So Far

• Released: May 19, 2015
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
The Story So Far: The Story So Far

Over the past few years we have seen this huge resurgence in the pop-punk subgenre. I think the most notable one that seemed to have started this whole trend even though I don't like them is Man Overboard. Following the "Defend Pop-Punk" slogan, it surely drew in quite a number of fans. And if you thought taking the name of a Blink-182 song was the end of pop-punk bands doing this, well, California pop-punk band The Story So Far decided to go the same route with inspiration from New Found Glory. It could be that these newcomers are running out of ideas for names, but it's not a bad thing. With that said, this is TSSF's third full-length album, and the follow up to 2013's "What You Don't See." The thing I loved about that album is that it was full of summer jams, even though I'm not a huge fan of Parker's sing/yell technique, I still enjoyed the album overall. With this album, he tried exploring further by singing on the soft track "Phantom," but decided to go no further with the rest of the album, which is a huge shame because I love the instruments in this band, while it's not as fun or easy on the ears as their last 2 efforts were, it still does have its moments. Just not very pop-punk-like moments. This band seems to have taken a more softer approach and sound like a regular rock band.

With the lead single, "Nerve," I was left disappointed. While it isn't a bad track, it has left me wanting Parker to explore more. With the same ol' wishy washy, sappy lyrics of most cases women, it gets old. And I have no idea what this indigo message is, but it's also present on "Solo," which I sort of liked a bit more as a song all in all. And I'll admit, I liked the lyrics to this song much more.

"Cause I'm sick of hearing that I'm late
Tired of having to restate 'I can't just sit around
and wait, you're just not someone I can date'
Now look who can’t hold their weight
I hope I'm wrong just for your sake
Using pills and flowers to sedate
Find me heal me keep my faith."

Parker really has his way with words, and rhymes, so I have to give him credit where it's given.

This album is definitely one of those that will most likely alienate some, such as myself. I found myself blasting their last album the past 2 summers, and at other times of course, but now this album just seems a bit stale, and most of that has to do with Parker's vocal delivery, an even lyrically. It's not a bad album, but I was honestly sad because some of these songs had so much build up to it in the intro, from the baseline in "How You Are" to the riffy "Distaste." This album, unfortunately falls flat, an would rightfully deserve a C if rated in school.