First Impressions of Earth review by The Strokes

• Released: Dec 30, 2005
The Strokes: First Impressions of Earth

When I first heard that The Strokes were releasing an album called First Impressions Of Earth, I thought that The Strokes were going prog-rock on us. Rather ironic. The Strokes' sound on this album has definetly evolved to a point where this is about as prog-rock as their going to get. Their guitar work is definetly more technical and the overall song structures on most songs aren't exactly standard. The also manage to break the 3 minute mark on a lot of instances, something they havent really tried to do before, while also stretching this album to 14 tracks at 52 minutes. But with a lot a artists and bands, especially this year, making bold changes to their sound or how they write, I won't go and say that The Strokes have made a huge step in a new musical direction. A lot of what The Strokes are is still very present. Guitar riffs that are catchy as hell, while the overall sound isn't something that doesn't sound like something The Strokes wouldn't write.

Maybe I'm focusing on the guitar riffs way to much, but half the time I miss what the words are. That maybe the only possible flaw to this album I can think of, in that they've focused most of the songs on the instruments and away from the voice. Other then that they haven't change this department much, which is definetly a good thing.

Definetly a great album, and an awesome way to bring in what will be 2006. This album will not disapoint long time fans, with songs like Juicebox or You Only Live Once, and also brings something new to the table, with songs like the eerely sounding Ask Me Anything, which is sure to be in a car commercial in the not to distant future. I like the fact that, basically, the formula is the same, just a lot more added emotion to convey. With a lot of bands constantly changing up their sound and in the process alienating fans in the process, it's good to know some things don't change, or at least not planning to.