First Impressions of Earth review by The Strokes

• Released: Dec 30, 2005
The Strokes: First Impressions of Earth

First Impressions Of Earth is, in all honesty, not The Strokes' greatest album. Most of the CD is great, but on several tracks where they try something new, they fail. It starts of teriffically, with 'You Only Live Once', a song with a bright melody, upbeat tempo, and cheerful lyrics, and 'Juicebox', the second song on the album is also, if nothing else, original. Taking you from a heavy baseline, borderlining into grunge, then finally into a soaring melody. The combination, suprisingly, sounds pretty damn good. Razorblade is another nice track, bringing an almost melancholic chorus to meet an ubeat, poppy verse. There is another side to the album however. '15 Minutes', for example, starts out with a mangled ballad, then leads into an upbeat rocker. The effect is something other then pleasing. 'Ize Of The World' and 'Heart In A Cage' both sound like some of their older work, without sounding like they completely duplicated it. All in all, there was more good then bad.

As in both of The Strokes other albums, vocals, and therefore lyrics are not at the forefront. They override the vocals with the reverb and guitar riffs, making it hard to distinguish exactly what the lyrics are. However, Julian Casablanca's voice does go with the style of music, and the overall feeling recieved from the vocals is very positive.

If I had to choose between First Impressions of Earth and Room on Fire (their earlier album) I would probably choose the latter. In Room on Fire, the style that I had become used to was in more of a foreground, while in First Impressions, the band departed from the familiar to experiment with new sounds (which is completely fine). Still, although not the orthodox Strokes album, I enjoyed First Impressions thoroughly, and would probably buy another copy if it were stolen. I liked the 'old-school' remixing that they did on the album, but didn't care so much for the experimentation. My favorite tracks are would be 'You Only Live Once', 'Razorblade', and 'Heart In A Cage'.