Is This It review by The Strokes

• Released: Jul 29, 2001
The Strokes: Is This It

I've been listening to the old album, Is This It, from The Stokes, for a while now. I thought that I would get to know the album really well before I made a comment. I'm only 15, but I think I've gotten to know The Strokes pretty well. First of all, I know their sound. The drums are usually kind of a jazz, with a loose high hat or a ping ride sound, a clean bounding bass drum, and usually a tight headed snare drum. That all fits in very well with the bass guitar. The bass sound from the strokes is usually a very demanding or loud sound, but it is at the same time very clean, it wont shake the plastic on your car like a hives album. It is usually a true toned bass. There are 2 regular guitars in the strokes. One guitar, usually the 'back up guitar' is guite a bit softer than the lead guitar, yet still audible enough hear the rythem. Its a very grainy sounding guitar, like an old hollow body or something. And it usually plays kind of like jazz or old rock rythems in most of the songs. The other guitar, is louder and much cleaner, a solid tone compared to the 'backup'. Solos are usually played by the cleaner guitar, and resemble old 60's kinds of solos. The Strokes play the kind of solos that you want to hear. and the singing, also ties in perfectly with it all. the distorted low kind of voice youd expect from a blues singer (doesn't really sound blues tho) and the high pitched note thats always in key. Julians voice is also not overpowering the band, I've noticed a lot of bands do that, I think it sounds better softer. o and one other thing, I noticed that the strokes write songs that they can play live. I think its bulls hit that some bands cant even play their own songs.

I love the lyrics to this album, julian casablancas is a genius. They're lyrics that make sence if you listen to them. They resemble a real new york touch to them I think. The singer is also very good at improving his lyrics, I heard the recorded version of one song, and the live of the same song, and he changes a lot of vocal veriations live, while still fitting in with the song well.

I think that the strokes' is this it, is the best debut album in a very long time. I like all the songs, but id have to say my favorite is trying your luck, its the best sounding song on the album. and I can guess that they spent extra time on that one.