Is This It review by The Strokes

• Released: Jul 29, 2001
The Strokes: Is This It

Some people say that all strokes songs sound alike, and that may be true at first listen. They generally sound the same the first few times you hear them, you have to really get into the songs to actually see a difference. The sound is so unique, you can always hear every instrument, every band member knows when and when not to play. Almost all the guitar in it has a different style, and each style is so very original. I would describe the music as very evolved, the two guitars go together perfectly, the bass is never doing the same thing ass the guitar, and the drums are different from most other rock today. Julian's voice is covered with fuzz, all this runs together to make beautiful music.

The Strokes are not a band emphasized on singing. While Julian may be talented, he does not show it at all. I would say the singing/lyrics are the one fault in the Strokes. His lyrics are over-repetitive at times, but then again, the Strokes concentrate on the instrumentals more. His voice, however, goes perfectly with the style they play.

This album has songs that are easily more talented than most mianstream rock today. You can really tell the Strokes put in alot of work for this album. The best songs (in my opinion) are "Is This It," "Last Nite," and "Hard To Explain." I just love how all the instruments are doing their own very different things but still sounding good together. Overall I think it is the Strokes best.