Is This It review by The Strokes

• Released: Jul 29, 2001
The Strokes: Is This It

Obviously you can tell from my user name I love the strokes; and this is the album that got me interested in them, this album is one of the if not the best album iv ever listened to. This was the album that brought The Strokes into the mainstream and it's easy to see why. From start to finish the riffs are really catchy and original, somebody said to me they sound a lot like the band called "Television" and I listened to that band, but am still adament the riffs and sounds here are completely their own. Admittedly some of the music is very easy to play, some not so easy, but all sounds brilliant. Nick and Albert work brilliantly together to come up with the type of music that stays in your head for days. Best examples of this being "The Modern Age" and "Barely Leagal."

The lyrics blend in with the music perfectly but at first Julian's voice made it hard to work out what some of the lyrics but, however random they can be at times, it doesnt't sound like Jules is telling a story, more of a here we go or this is what happend to me if you give a shit. I love his lazy style, his voice is definately unique, cheery and very honest, what you see is what you get. Brilliant.

Well this was the first and in my mind is the best album. Mainly because the style is fresh and full of hope. This album always gets me going I feel it could be the soundtrack to my life, it's lazy yet active. I like every song on this album and I'd say the first 8 songs are of equally high standard which is what makes this album so great, of them most famous being "Last Nite". There are a couple of songs off later albums perhaps better than any song on this album. But as one piece of work this album is pure genius for me. I would buy this album over and over as it was definately worth what a paid. I think this record is stone cold evidence of the brilliant writing and playing talents of the strokes and has proven them to be one of, if not the best band in the world at the moment. In my opinion anyway!

benjidude945
    This album never gets old and can be listened to multiple times in one day. Same with Room on Fire. I can't really think of any albums that I'd do that with. Last Nite, Modern Age, Barely Legal, and Soma all rock. I really couldn't choose a favorite. But the UK version is better! With the awesome NYC Cops!!