Is This It review by The Strokes

• Released: Jul 29, 2001
The Strokes: Is This It

I've heard how hyped this was back in the day, 2001. I only picked it up last year and tried it out. I listened to the first 4 songs and absolutely hated it. I returned it to the library within 20 minutes and got a Libertines album instead. So then my friend gives me all 3 of their albums and I'm like "Oh, the Strokes, I guess I'll check em out again." I listen and within a month I become hooked. This album is seriously addicting. No other band I know can make me listen to an album once a day, for a nearly a week straight! It happened with Room on Fire also. They may rip Velvet Underground, but only sometimes. They are pure garage-rock bliss and they shine on this debut.

The lyrics are simple enough to be relatable to. Last Night is about a girl leaving on you and looking back on it the next day. Barely Legal is about drinking, or doing it, for the first time. New York City Cops (UK Version) is about well, duh. Nothing too deep but it's simple enough that it holds your attention is fun to listen to. Casablancas is an interesting vocalist and drones on and sounds like a vacuum (no joke). But he sounds very cool and collected at the same time.

All the songs here are great, with no filler. Some take a little to really like, such as Alone, Together and Trying Your Luck, but they're just as good as Last Night or Someday. The best part of the album lies in the fact that it's only 35 minutes and the songs don't drag on. They are the perfect length and make you want to listen again. The guitar hooks do the same. If I lost this I'd be pretty bummed and would get another copy. But buy the UK version with NYC Cops. When it Started is a filler track they recorded for the US copy.

strokemystripes
    hugh20
    strokemystripes wrote: Honestly, until someone can 100% prove otherwise, this still remains the elite album of the 2000's. Hands down.
    second, apart from a few select others.
    JD89
    Brilliant album, It's one of those special albums that you will never get bored of listening to
    quepasta123
    Amazing album...just like everyone else has said, it's one of those few albums you can listen to over and over again. The Modern Age and Take It Or Leave It are my personal favorites.