Room on Fire review by The Strokes

• Released: Oct 28, 2003
The Strokes: Room on Fire

Okay let me start of by saying I loved the first Strokes album(Is this it), so I was really looking forward to their second album. However,I was hesitant to buy this album at first because I had heard their first single from it, 12:51, and I wasn't really impressed. Well unfortunately I had been missing out, because every song on this album kills 12:51. This album is probably less catchy than the last album, but more rocking. They strum along then explode into chaos. The riffs are unique and original. The solos are amazing but almost minimal in a way, with every note holding the solo together, no unnecessary masturbatory soloing here.

The lyrics are amazing. Julian seems to always put a play on his words, and can make a song change meanings halfway through. You'll be listening along, thinking you got the song figured out then he just says unexpected things like "so many fish in the sea, she wanted him, he wanted me..." How does he come up with this $hit? I think the lyrics are witty, emotional, meloncholy, and sometimes funny. His songs that mention girls are great because he's not whining about them, he's telling them off in a way. If you are going through a break up just listen to "Between Love and Hate" and repeat "I never needed nobody...", then listen to "Meet me in the Bathroom" and you'll realize that you were "just two f*cks in lust".

I don't know who to compare the Strokes to. I know there have been references comparing them to velvet underground and ramones, but, they seem to be neither one, but nice blend of both...sorta. They sound influenced by them, but Julian's voice is very distinct, and no one else really sounds like the Strokes. My favorite songs on the album are "Whatever Happened", "Reptilia", "Automatic Stop", and "Under Control". Oh yeah, check out the solo on "I can't win" at about 1:36, it's great. You think they are soloing along, then the guitar just start soaring. Absolutely amazing. If this album were stolen from me, I'd definitely be pissed, because I haven't taken it out of my car for a month straight. Definitely worth buying, and if you don't have the first one, buy it too.