Young for Eternity review by The Subways

• Released: Jul 4, 2005
The Subways: Young for Eternity

This album is brilliant. The first song is a masterpiece, and the other tracks certainly don't fall short. To start with, the album is excellently produced, with a sound that suits every song. The songs themselves are extremely catchy. There is good variation aswell, blending from a sort of hard rock style to a quiet acoustic one and then a chuggy sound and then.

The lyrics are well thought out, and fit in well with the songs, sung in different styles. Many of the words are sung by not only the guitarist Bill Lunn but bassist Charlotte Cooper, both of their voices complement each other exquisitely. Most of the lyrics are about being a teenager, staying young or meeting girls, as far as I can interpret. For example, the song Young for Eternity has lyrics about being bitten by Dracula and staying young forever. I think. On the whole the lyrics are sung with a unique style that blends in perfectly with the instruments at every note. I feel the lrics work really well with the songs.

Buying this album was a brilliant decision. I've listened to it countless times and the songs haven't lost any of their original zest. The Subways are definitely one of my favourite bands at the moment, and they will be for a long time. Chances are they'll be high on your list too. I think the Subways have quite a unique sound, so I find it difficult to try to compare them to other bands. It has to be said, however, that Billy Lunn's voice does bear resemblance to Liam Gallagher's, but it works well in the songs, and fits in perfectly with the voice of Charlotte Cooper's. My favourite song from the album has to be the stunning 'With You', which was my favourite from the first time I heard it. 'Oh Yeah', 'Mary and 'She Sun' come close to it on my list. The worst songs on the album in my opinion are 'Holiday' and 'Young for Eternity'. But they are still awesome songs, which says something about teh rest of the album. I love everything about this album, from the harmonies to the chuggy guitar to the soothing quiet songs, from track 1 to track 12. There's a bonus track too, if you're willing to fast forward 10 minutes past the end of the last track. It's worth it though. If I lost this or it was eaten by Monkeys, I would buy it again as soon as possible. It's a brilliant album packed with brilliant songs that are brilliant to listen to and play along to. Brilliant!