Legendary Review

The Summer Set: Legendary
Released: Apr 16, 2013
Genre: Powerpop, Pop Rock, Pop-Punk
Label: Fearless Records
It's a unique album for sure. It's good, but it's not GREAT.
 7.4
 7.8
 2,490
Legendary Reviewed by: emilykf, on september 26, 2013

Sound: The growth from The Summer Set's previous release, "Everything's Fine," is incredible. This album feels so much more polished and produced, and in a good way. "Legendary" is exactly that; with Brian Dales' unique and versatile voice, anything with his name on it is sure to be absolutely incredible. The band itself, aside from Dales, provides a whole different aspect of depth that many pop groups fail to attain. I love the wholeness of this record; the sound can compare almost to the weathered maturity of Paramore's latest. Plus, they feature Dia Frampton and a HIMYM reference or two! // 9

Lyrics: If I could be critical about anything on this album, it would be the lyrical content. I feel like some of the songs are above and beyond expectations, absolutely mind-blowing hits that should be everywhere- but some fall below the bar. You have songs like "Boomerang" ("If I was Jay-Z, you'd be my Beyonce/We could rock the nation like they do") and "Jukebox" ("Life goes on, we got all night/If you got rock and roll, you're gonna be alright") and "F--k You Over" ("I didn't mean to f--k you over, I just wanted to have some fun") that are catchy and will get stuck in your head, but honestly, the lyrics don't mean much in the end. The depth of the album really comes out in the lyrics of songs like "Legendary" ("We all want to be legendary to somebody/I was your night in shining armor, now it's celebrity rehab hell/I swear that I could be amazing, I just need a little help") and "Happy for You" ("I could stay for one more drink, I could go home with the next girl to me/But I'm watching him while he's touching you and there's nothing I can do/Guess I'm happy for you") and "Maybe Tonight" ("Maybe tonight we'll start all over like it's the first day of our lives") that are the songs that will resonate with fans on a whole deeper level. You just have to think, would you prefer to have those awesome songs and the meh ones on an album, or would you rather have an album with fairly good lyrics overall? // 6

Overall Impression: "Legendary" is a highlight for The Summer Set. This could very easily be their "Paramore," "Enema of the State," "Nothing Personal," this could be the album that lets them hit the peak of their career. Winning the iHeart Radio/Macy's Rising Star award, they're on their way to mainstream success. I'm excited to be part of it. "Legendary" is by far their best so far, and they've only got up to go from here. I most recommend "Happy for You," "Maybe Tonight," "Legendary," "Lightning in a Bottle," and "Jukebox." Next time around, I hope they take the element of their upbeat way of getting across the emotion, and improve a little on lyricism. But this is an absolutely incredible album. // 9

Legendary Reviewed by: kenziethomas13, on june 04, 2013

Sound: So I first heard of The Summer Set from Fearless Records' "Punk Goes Classic Rock" with their cover of KISS' "Rock And Roll All Nite." I enjoyed the cover, but I didn't go and check out any of their albums. The lead singer really has this neat voice though, and recently I heard their single "Boomerang" on YouTube. I thought it was a clever sounding song, and decided to get the album "Legendary." They have this pop-punk feel, but more towards the pop than punk. All of the lyrics easily get stuck in your head, and they are fun to listen too. // 5

Lyrics: My overall impression of the lyrics... Ummm. Not bad, some of them sound "immature" to me. Like in "Boomerang" when he says "If I was Jay-Z you'd be my Beyonce, we could rock the nation like they do..." Very clever lyrics, but I don't know they are just kind of weird. In "Maybe Tonight," that's a great song by the way, the lyrics are inspirational. The lead singer has a unique voice, and I love it on this album. The lyrics and the music fit well together, I think this will end up being one of those "Top 40" bands though. I can easily imagine hearing them on the radio. // 6

Overall Impression: I honestly don't think it compares to any other artists albums off of the top of my head. It's a unique album for sure. The most impressive songs would be "Maybe Tonight," "Jukebox (Life Goes On)," "Boomerang," "7 Days," and "Legendary." I love all of the upbeat songs, but what I don't like is that they cuss quite a bit. And I think that that could turn away younger fans. They are a good-looking band, they sound great, they are very loyal to their fans as well. There's not much to hate! If this album got lost, I don't think I would bother to buy it again, but that's just my opinion. It's a good album, but it's not a GREAT album.

// 7