Gods Of The Earth review by The Sword

• Released: Mar 24, 2008
The Sword: Gods Of The Earth

The Sword makes you raise your devil horns once again with their new album, Gods Of The Earth. Following a successful first album, The Sword has tried to branch out a little bit with their new stuff. They have added a little bit of an early Bay Area flavor to the riffs, along with heavier drums and more speed. This is a unexpected surprise that accompanies the band's brand of Texan Sabbath-era stoner metal. Unlike the last record they have made the album a little more modern with the guitar work, adding more technicality to the solos and more complexity to the riffs and spliffs. You can also hear a Mastodon influence in some of the intros and bridges. I also enjoyed the exiting bass lines thrown in for good measure. Overall it is an amazing sound that greets the true metal head's ears with pleasure and comfort.

Once again most of the lyrics are about wizardry, monsters, battles, swords, barbarians, and the elements. It fits the sludgy brand of stoner metal very well, giving it depth and a feeling of an ancient battlefield. John Cronise hasn't changed vocally whatsoever, and for some that is a turn off. I have no problem with his Ozzy styled hum, but for others, it drowns out the music and makes it unbearable. Obviously he is not the greatest singer, but the fact that he is playing the guitar at the same time makes that okay.

If I had to compare this to another album I would say it sounds like the later Black Sabbath's album Sabotage. The use of the acoustic guitars also adds a mid-evil feel that is hard to shake and harder to dislike. For me, the best songs are Maiden Mother & Crone, The Frost-Giant's Daughter, and The Sundering. I find the riffs to be quite choice and fresh compared to most of the albums being released this year. I have no complaints about this album because I knew what to expect. New-comers may find John Cronise's voice to be annoying, but for the veterans who have already heard the band, they know what to expect. If this album were stolen or lost I would definitely go pick up a new one. I suggest you go pillage your local record store and snatch Gods Of The Earth up right now.

ApeOfJustice
    Travlembo he only gave it a 10 for 'impression', which doesn't really conflict with what he wrote. Got the album to day and it is lightyears ahead of their last one. I was expecting an 'Age of Winters' part 2 but instead I got a comparatively very varied album, much cleaner produced as well. Love the fact that they have George RR Martin references in there too.
    StratSlinger421
    This album does NOT disappoint at all. I really like Cronise's voice over the screamo style predominantly heard in metal today, but thats just me. If youre like me, and you love huge gnarly riffs but not the abrasiveness of the cookie monster style vocals of most metal bands, this band is totally for you. Check out the first album too. So many killer headbanging moments. \m/ METAL \m/
    Alpha Guru
    Great album. Really proves that the band is getting better. Although I'm pretty sure that the song To Take the Black is based off of a series of books by George R. R. Martin.
    Shredder Guitar
    lol i didnt know they even released a new album..The Sword have a great sound..They sound so much like their influences yet manage to have an identity of their own. Genius.
    RMM82
    I had never listened to this band until this album, and man is it awesome. Old school Black Sabbath stoner metal meant to make you bang your head with a beer in one hand and a blunt in the other! My only complaint is they way the cymbals are mixed, they are waaaaay too prominent in the mix! I can understand the old-school vibe they were going for with this sound, but man is it painful on a pair of headphones.
    JackoMBA
    This album is huge. Kicks you right in the ass. I'm so happy I've found this album.
    Shazazmic
    If only the sound quality was better, these guys would kick more ass than they already do.
    metalhead_99801
    so far, i think i like the first album better, but it may grow on me. i just never think they'll top Iron Swan.
    qotsa1998
    Awesome band. They do sound alot like Sabbath, and the vocalist has an Ozzy-like voice. Im definately gonna go pick up this and their first album sometime soon.
    ShrimpthePimp
    dude, they stepped up their game so much from their last CD, and their alot more metal. Awesome riffs too!
    Travlembo
    and how can you give a 9 on sound an 8 on lyrics/vocals and give it a 10... what else are you considering? historical significance?
    wurzel1981
    Just finished listening to it. It is quite retro sounding but still weirdly sounds original, one of the best albums of the year so far methinks!
    ApeOfJustice
    Cool had no idea they had a second album out. I'll probably get it when I go into town, loved the first album.
    andeen10
    This is also the first album that I listened to band from this band. I usually don't listen to this kinda of old school metal, but this band is AMAZING. I love their old school tone.