Den Of Thieves Review

The Trews: Den Of Thieves
Released: Sep 13, 2005
Label: BMG
Genre: Rock
It's very radio-friendly, but also has a straight up, kickass rock 'n' roll sound at the same time.
 8.3
 9.7
Den Of Thieves Reviewed by: Hanzi_G, on september 09, 2005

Sound: The Trews are a great Canadian band with a lot of potential. Their music is heavily classic rock influenced, but has a pop-alt sound as well. The solos sound alot like Slash's solos, except on a cleaner distortion. The music on this CD sounds alot like their debut release "House Of Ill Fame," except there are more instruments involved like trumpets and piano. The only problem I have with the CD is that there are a lack of guitar solos compared to their last CD. On the first CD there are about 10 solos, while Den Of Thieves only has about 4-5. But nevertheless, this a great CD to listen to if your in a good mood or if your just with your friends. It's very radio-friendly, but also has a straight up, kickass rock n roll sound at the same time. // 8

Lyrics: The Trews' lyrics are very basic. There is nothing really special about them. They are not bad, but they are not that great either. The lyrics are very simple. Most songs are about relationships. Pretty typical for a band thats making it way into the mainstream. Overall, I'd say 3, because they are very basic, but their type of music doesnt really require amazing lyrics to sound good. I think the band focus more on the music than anything. // 6

Overall Impression: Den Of Thieves definately shows that there are talented bands in the Canadian music scene. I suggest this album to all rock n roll fans out there, who just want to listen to a fun CD. You'll have a great time listening to songs like "She's So Leaving" (possibly the best Trews song ever written), "Cry" and "Montebello Park" (named after a park that is located near me hehe). I would definately buy this CD again, it's definately worth the money I paid for it, so overall, I'll say 4/5. The only thing I have a problem with is the lack of solos. Either than that, the CD is absolutely rocking! // 8

Den Of Thieves Reviewed by: jonnywoof, on september 25, 2005

Sound: It seems as if this album is straight out of the '70s. Den Of Thieves is straight rock and roll with some great guitar licks/solos. The trews sound has evolved a little bit in this album over their last album as they are experimenting with different instruments, sound effects and different vocals. In my opinion their experimenting pays off on Den Of Thieves, it sounds great. // 10

Lyrics: Probably the biggest improvement from this album to their last is the vocals. The vocals have improved tremendously. However, the lyrics aren't anything to write home about, but they work great with the music so it makes up for it. The weakest part of this band has really improved on Den of Thieves. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this album is excellent. The guitar in this album sounds a lot like Led Zeppelin and the vocals are pop-rockish, but they seem to combine really well. There are several songs on this album that are sure to be big hits such as "So She's Leaving," "Fire Up Ahead," and "Makin Sunshine". My only complaint on this album is that all of the songs are approximately the same length. However, it is a sweet CD and is selling at a very low price so if I lost it I would pick up another copy. // 10

Comments