Powder Burns review by The Twilight Singers

• Released: May 16, 2006
The Twilight Singers: Powder Burns

Greg Dulli, the former member of the Afghan Whigs put together the twilight singers and they have made a few albums together. This is their newest album.This is a great album all around. There is a good mix of faster and slower, lighter and heavier songs. There is a very good use of piano on this album that really works well on thier faster songs like "Forty Dollars". This bands sound reminds me of the '90s sound. Overal a great album that flows together nicely.

Greg Dulli has a dark sound to his voice that goes very well with the music he is singing over. Greg had a drug addiction that he recently got over and his struggles with addiction are apparant in the lyrics of this album. I find the lyrics to be very real and heartfelt. This band also has great backing vocals and harmonies which is apparant in "Candy Cane Crawl".

This album reminds me of the '90s rock sound (the verve, oasis). The best songs on this album are "Bonnie Brae," "Candy Cane Crawl," "My Time(Has Come)" and "I Wish I Was". I love that this album is so different from the music that is out today. It really is nice to have a great mellow album that isn't like the overproduced mainstream music around today. If it were stolen I would definatly buy it again.