Powder Burns Review

The Twilight Singers: Powder Burns
Release Date: May 16, 2006
Label: One Little Indian
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock, Alternative Metal
If Powder Burns is any indication of his strength and cunning, he's already found an escape.
 9.4
 9.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Powder Burns Reviewed by: stuzy21, on august 22, 2006

Sound: Greg Dulli, the former member of the Afghan Whigs put together the twilight singers and they have made a few albums together. This is their newest album.This is a great album all around. There is a good mix of faster and slower, lighter and heavier songs. There is a very good use of piano on this album that really works well on thier faster songs like "Forty Dollars". This bands sound reminds me of the '90s sound. Overal a great album that flows together nicely. // 9

Lyrics: Greg Dulli has a dark sound to his voice that goes very well with the music he is singing over. Greg had a drug addiction that he recently got over and his struggles with addiction are apparant in the lyrics of this album. I find the lyrics to be very real and heartfelt. This band also has great backing vocals and harmonies which is apparant in "Candy Cane Crawl". // 9

Overall Impression: This album reminds me of the '90s rock sound (the verve, oasis). The best songs on this album are "Bonnie Brae," "Candy Cane Crawl," "My Time(Has Come)" and "I Wish I Was". I love that this album is so different from the music that is out today. It really is nice to have a great mellow album that isn't like the overproduced mainstream music around today. If it were stolen I would definatly buy it again. // 9

Comments