Artwork review by The Used

• Released: Aug 31, 2009
The Used: Artwork

I personally think The Used did a fantastic job changing their sound around from their self titled to In Love and Death, which remained my favorite of their cd's until Artwork, their newest album, was released last week. It completely blows Lies For The Liars out of the water. All the songs, with the exception of one or two, flow right into each other very nicely. On my first listen, I thought maybe my car radio had been busted, but it is indeed just part of the sound which solidifies the album. On your first listen you will think the CD might be scratched or your in a bad reception zone, but its all just a part of the cd which makes it great. There's 11 songs, all written very beautifully. Their trademark sound is still there, but obviously they are evolving as any band does.

Bert McCraken may be one of the best singer/songwriters of our generation. His lyrics, although sometimes may make little to no sense, are so beautiful. All the lyrics blend in perfectly with the music behind them. His use of melody is still intact as he delivered nicely. Almost every song on this album has been stuck in my head since I got it. I listen to it on my way to school and again on my way home, I bought it last tuesday, todays Monday. Needless to say, I haven't gotten bored with it. His voice is beautiful, I am a little disappointed that there is little to no screaming on the album and if its there its purely background vocals. If you were a fan of In Love and Death, you will like this just as much, if not better. I definitely recommend "Kissing You Goodbye," beautiful, beautiful song.

This album is up there for top album of 2009. This summer didn't really have a lot to offer, so it was refreshing to have something like this come out just as school was beginning to start. I've recommended it to everybody I know. I love his voice, and the music equally. I would totally buy this again if it was stolen, wouldn't download though cuase it would lose its originality (i.e. shortened songs.)