Artwork review by The Used

• Released: Aug 31, 2009
  • Reviewer's score: 4.7 Poor
The Used: Artwork

I must start off by saying the The Used is one of the best bands out there, but unfortunately thier latest cd, Artmork, is not one of thier best. One of the reasons I'm sure most fans have come to love them is due to thier creativity. Unfortunately I was unable to find much of that in this album. Many of the songs, though they seem to work, sound very much the same. I found myself wondering if I had left my CD player on repeat. Guitar for the most part sound fairly good. The only complaint I have is that Quinn doesn't seem to have the same creative ability he use to have. The drums of course aren't near has good has there self titled album or In Love And Death, but that I believe is due to losing Brandon. Jaff still as always does a great Job with the bass. Another disapionting fact of this album is that (similar to Lies for The Liars) screams seem to have become, well, extinct. One of the reasons thier self titled album stood out so much was Bert's raw and gut wrenching screams. The most you get in Artwork is maybe a few background growls.

I must say I was fairly happing in this department. Bert's amazing writing is still just has great has it's always been. One of the great things about Bert is that his lyrics range so dramaticly. In one song you could hear the most beautiful set of phrases and poetry ever written, and in the next they can be so harsh, crazy and brutal that you wonder if Bert is sane or not. His singing, in my opinion, has improved and seems to be with every new album.

All in all this album was unfortunately disapionting. Thier creativity seems to have come to a drop. Thier music seems to get less and less raw and one of a kind with each new album. Thier first album, self titled, is still thier greatest followed by In Love and Death finishing with both Lies for the Liars and Artwork tieing for third. Some of the only good songs on this album are "Blood on my Hands, "Kissing You Goodbye" and "Men Are All The Same". If you are a dedicated, long time fan of The Used then you may want to buy it. If it is lost or stolen then only replace it if you ARE a dedicated fan, if not well you're not missing much.