Artwork Review

The Used: Artwork
Released: Aug 31, 2009
Genre: Post-Hardcore
Label: Reprise
"Artwork" is the fourth studio album by American alternative rock band The Used, released through Reprise Records.
 8.2
 7.8
 8.5
reviews (3) user comments vote for this album:
Artwork Reviewed by: lilsolja212, on september 09, 2009

Sound: I think that The Used is one of the most creative bands in a long time. There self titled is one of my favorite albums to date along with there second album In Love And Death. But Lies for the Liars was a little disappointing but still loved it. Not only that but all there songs are fun to play on guitar. But The Used new album Artwork is different. Artwork is above Lies for the Liars but below the first two albums. The sound of the CD brings back memories from In Love and Death but without as much screaming(by the way the screaming is only in the background). The highlights of the new album is some of the slow stuff. But the Problem I have with this album is that some of the songs on the album sound alike. But they don't sound DragonForce alike which is definitely a good thing. If you are a true fan of The Used like I am and have seen them in concert like I have then buy this album because there are some really good songs on this album that are catchy as hell. // 9

Lyrics: Bert McKracken is one the greatest song writers I have listened to. He writes lyrics that are beautiful and that people can relate to. He has great songs like On My Own, Hard To Say, and Yesterdays Feelings. And two of the songs that stick out are Empty With You and Kissing You Goodbye. // 9

Overall Impression: If you are a true fan of The Used like I am and have seen them in concert like I have then buy this album because there are some really good songs on this album that are catchy as hell. But this album isn't as good as the first two albums but it is better than Lies For the Liars. // 8

Artwork Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 08, 2009

Sound: I personally think The Used did a fantastic job changing their sound around from their self titled to In Love and Death, which remained my favorite of their cd's until Artwork, their newest album, was released last week. It completely blows Lies For The Liars out of the water. All the songs, with the exception of one or two, flow right into each other very nicely. On my first listen, I thought maybe my car radio had been busted, but it is indeed just part of the sound which solidifies the album. On your first listen you will think the CD might be scratched or your in a bad reception zone, but its all just a part of the cd which makes it great. There's 11 songs, all written very beautifully. Their trademark sound is still there, but obviously they are evolving as any band does. // 10

Lyrics: Bert McCraken may be one of the best singer/songwriters of our generation. His lyrics, although sometimes may make little to no sense, are so beautiful. All the lyrics blend in perfectly with the music behind them. His use of melody is still intact as he delivered nicely. Almost every song on this album has been stuck in my head since I got it. I listen to it on my way to school and again on my way home, I bought it last tuesday, todays Monday. Needless to say, I haven't gotten bored with it. His voice is beautiful, I am a little disappointed that there is little to no screaming on the album and if its there its purely background vocals. If you were a fan of In Love and Death, you will like this just as much, if not better. I definitely recommend "Kissing You Goodbye," beautiful, beautiful song. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is up there for top album of 2009. This summer didn't really have a lot to offer, so it was refreshing to have something like this come out just as school was beginning to start. I've recommended it to everybody I know. I love his voice, and the music equally. I would totally buy this again if it was stolen, wouldn't download though cuase it would lose its originality (i.e. shortened songs.) // 10

Artwork Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 21, 2010

Sound: I must start off by saying the The Used is one of the best bands out there, but unfortunately thier latest cd, Artmork, is not one of thier best. One of the reasons I'm sure most fans have come to love them is due to thier creativity. Unfortunately I was unable to find much of that in this album. Many of the songs, though they seem to work, sound very much the same. I found myself wondering if I had left my CD player on repeat. Guitar for the most part sound fairly good. The only complaint I have is that Quinn doesn't seem to have the same creative ability he use to have. The drums of course aren't near has good has there self titled album or In Love And Death, but that I believe is due to losing Brandon. Jaff still as always does a great Job with the bass. Another disapionting fact of this album is that (similar to Lies for The Liars) screams seem to have become, well, extinct. One of the reasons thier self titled album stood out so much was Bert's raw and gut wrenching screams. The most you get in Artwork is maybe a few background growls. // 3

Lyrics: I must say I was fairly happing in this department. Bert's amazing writing is still just has great has it's always been. One of the great things about Bert is that his lyrics range so dramaticly. In one song you could hear the most beautiful set of phrases and poetry ever written, and in the next they can be so harsh, crazy and brutal that you wonder if Bert is sane or not. His singing, in my opinion, has improved and seems to be with every new album. // 8

Overall Impression: All in all this album was unfortunately disapionting. Thier creativity seems to have come to a drop. Thier music seems to get less and less raw and one of a kind with each new album. Thier first album, self titled, is still thier greatest followed by In Love and Death finishing with both Lies for the Liars and Artwork tieing for third. Some of the only good songs on this album are "Blood on my Hands, "Kissing You Goodbye" and "Men Are All The Same". If you are a dedicated, long time fan of The Used then you may want to buy it. If it is lost or stolen then only replace it if you ARE a dedicated fan, if not well you're not missing much. // 3

Comments