In Love And Death review by The Used

• Released: Sep 28, 2004
The Used: In Love And Death

The Used are back with a new CD entitled In Love And Death. The street release date is 9-28-04, but I managed to get a advanced copy. It is defiantly the works of the Used with its dark but catchy riffs and the beloved screams of Bert on the mic. The album is very similar to their self-entitled album. The only real difference I can hear in this album is that there is more use of electronics and orchestral strings.

The lyrics are typical of the Used. Bert's skill is great, despite his on-stage vomiting-on-stage-pyrotechnics. I believe he has quite a dynamic voice, which fits in quite well with this album.

In Love and Death is on par with their self-entitled album. Here is the track listing for the album: 01. I'm a Fake 02. I Caught Fire (In Your Eyes) 03. Let It Bleed 04. All That I've Got 05. Cut Up Angels 06. Listening 07. Yesterday Feelings 08. Light with A Sharpened Edge 09. SoundEffects And Overdramatics 10. It's Hard To Say 11. Lunacy Fringe 12. Take It Away "SoundEffects and Overdramatics" is my personal favorite so far. It is a very "high-energy" song with some clever vocals. "I'm A Fake" is an awesome song with probably one of the best and most interesting spoken work introductions I've ever heard. "All That I've Got", "Cut Up Angels", "Yesterday Feelings", "It's Hard To Say" and "Lunacy Fringe" are the albums slower electrical/acoustic songs. The only real thing about this album I don't like is the use of extra electronic/generated sounds. If this album was to be lost or stolen I'd probably move on and get something different but it will be worth you 12-16 bucks.