In Love And Death review by The Used

• Released: Sep 28, 2004
The Used: In Love And Death

The sound on this album might be a letdown to those of you out there who were really into the hardcore side of The Used, who have diversified their sound quite a bit in this album. There are some songs that have almost a poppie sound that reminds me of Good Charlotte or Simple Plan and some songs that are so crowded with background instrumental flare with bells and strings and artificial beats that it almost sounds like Jimmie Eat World in some places. Though it may sound like I don't like this new sound, it's been something that grows on someone used to the harder sound. The whole album sounds more like "Poetic Tragedy" or "Taste Of Ink" (which are my two favorite songs they do). Songs like "Let It Bleed," "Yesterday's Feelings" and "Hard To say" make this album totally worth any money you spend on the CD or any time spent pirating songs.

Bert is one of the better writers in his genre. That's only talking about his writing, his voice is untouchable. I know of no other artist in the punk/screamo world that can touch his incredible range, purity of sound, and that intense, full screaming. This album is no different. It stretched and expanded Bert's vocal capasity, much to the enjoyment and awe of any listener.

I don't like this album as much as Maybe Memories, but that was an incredible album to follow up. I find this new sound growing on me the more I listen to it, and it has something for every mood that I might need music for. The only things I could say that I don't like about this album are songs like "Lunacy Fringe" that just seem to have so much background fluff that it makes the band sound like someone else. If it was stolen, I'd probably just download "Yesterday's Feelings," "Let It Bleed," "All That I've Got" and "Hard To Say."