In Love And Death review by The Used

• Released: Sep 28, 2004
The Used: In Love And Death

Well let's see, I honestly like this sound much better than The Used's self title debut album. Bert uses his voice more and sings much better. The hardcore sound they had, well they toned that down a lot. Most of the songs are slower than what you would say was normal on their debut CD. Only a few songs have a lot of screaming. This CD is easier to like because it doesn't take getting used to some of the songs like the 1st one did for me. Some of the songs off the 1st CD were so off the wall it took me a while to actually like them.

The lyrics, well I can't say they are great, but they aren't bad. It's the basic formula used today for the hardcore-emo bands. You're tough, you're not afraid, she broke my fucking heart, basically those are the messages. Bert kind of disappointed me here at the fact that he'll say some pretty stupid things. For example, on Take It Away, which is, don't get me wrong, an awesome song (one of my faves), but there is this one part where it says "brothers and sisters, I'm right here with you." This isn't rap and we make fun of rap for saying things like that. The next example is the worst, on track 12, I'm a Fake, he says "I'm not afraid to die, I'm not afraid to bleed, to fuck, to fight" and also, "Will you be my little cut? Will you be my thousand fucks?" I like The Used but why did he try to sound so bad ass there. If he's so rebellious and doesn't care what people think of him, why did he announce all that crap to the whole world? If you don't care, you don't say anything, you just don't worry about it. The worst part is, he's not even singing that part. There is no music, no nothing, just him talking. It's right before the actual song comes in. Bert was nothing like this in the first CD. The actual song to that track is very good though.

Aside from the lyrics, I like the change they made. They have more of a sound to their slower songs on their self titled album, which were the songs I liked the most. My favorites on this CD would be, of course, Take It Away, I Caught Fire, Let It Bleed, Yesterday's Feelings and Lunacy Fringe. The guy who said Lunacy Fringe was not a good song, he can piss off, that song is the best damned song on this CD in my opinion. Bert sings it really awesome. A successful sophmore attempt by The Used.