In Love And Death review by The Used

• Released: Sep 28, 2004
The Used: In Love And Death

The sound of their CD is pretty good, I guess this is emo music, due to the screaming and rage in it. The sound quality of the reconrd is also great, at the beggining of two or three songs the guy talks or you hear the cocking of a gun or a tatoo machine (if that's what it's called), turning on but that just adds to the song.

The lyrics are great, kinda complicated sometimes, but they work! Many of the songs are about girls or just feeling down but they're really good as is the music. They do tend to scream but much less in this album that in their other self-titled one (I don't know about "Maybe Memories", because I didn't buy it, it was mosltey just live in concert with 1 or 2 new songs). One thing that bothers me a bit about the lyrics is how they tend to repeat their chorus' a little too much, but that's only in a couple songs and the songs still work very well, as much musically as lyrically. The lead singer, Bert McCracken, has a great voice, not the type to belt out a high note but he and the rest of the band make all the songs work well and as I said, sometimes they just get into a bit of screaming (wich works with the intensity of the songs).

It sounds a lot like their other albums, The Used and Maybe Memories. I have found that musically they have evoloved, like with track 11, Lunacy Fringe, it tends to have a bluesey tune and works really well especially since instead of screaming they have great lyrics and an awesome rythm to accompany it. What I really enjoy about this album and their others is that you can listen to all of their album, not just listen to 3-4 tracks over and over and over again! One other thing is that their CD case is really well made, colourful (slightly creepy) and full of great drawings and it contains all the lyrics (I hate when bands don't have lyrics with the CD) There isn't anything I hate about the album, I love the band! If this CD were stolen I'd definatley buy myself a new one even if it did cost me 21$ (Canadian).