In Love And Death review by The Used

• Released: Sep 28, 2004
The Used: In Love And Death

Did The Used dissapoint? Let me begin by saying The Used are a very very very original band and on originality the band did not dissapoint. Now when it comes down to it, your taste will totally matter when it comes to In Love And Death. The screaming from Bert Mccrackin which had become such a staple in The Used music, the strategic, gut wrenching (litterally) screams have been toned down and Berts singing is left to carry the album, which he does with flying colors. This is what makes The Used very unique. Where some bands will fall back on one schtick or gimmick, The Used fall back on talent and song writing ability. They may not be the best songs in the world, but they have a knack for meolody. The band is a bit less heavy as well but there are songs (I'm A Fake, Take It Away, Sound Effects) that reak of the heavyness The Used employed on previous discs.

Like I stated above, Bert does a fantastic job mixing singing and screaming in the album. I have always found Berts lyrics very deep, and if you read the insert sleeve you see that he admits to who he is writing to. This puts a bit more meaning behind the past lyrics if you care to listen.

Going into listening In Love And Death, I knew it would be hard to top The Useds first album, and I would not say they topped it, but they have met the same bar. The sound is more mature and more developed. Although I could of used a smidge more screaming in the album (Bert sounded more hurt in the first album and it helped to convey the emotion) I can't wait to fast foward about two more years and hear the next batch of tunes this band comes out with.