In Love And Death review by The Used

• Released: Sep 28, 2004
The Used: In Love And Death

I have noticed a lot of growth musically on this album. The guitar is a little more subtle and musical, the bass lines carry most of the melody, and the drums have gotten a bit more complex (ex. verses for "Take It Away"). Also, the vocal melodies are perfect, espeacially when Bert utilizes the upper register (ex. "Hard To Say" and "I Caught Fire (In Your Eyes). There isn't as much downright screaming on this album, but there are moments when they are very powerful (ex. "Sound Effects And Overdramatics").

Bert has grown a lot lyrically on this album. Many of the songs feature his powerful range along with driving lyrics. (ex. "Cut Up Angels" - "If we cut out the bad well then we'd have nothing left, like I cut up your mouth the night I stuffed it all in." And "Listening" - "If your heart's still beating it must be the blood"). These are just a few examples of the variety and imagery that Bert uses to get his point across.

Honestly, I haven't bought this cd yet, I burned it from a friend. If your a huge Used fan, you probably already have it. If not, I recommend it to anyone whe has interest's in bands such as: My Chemical Romance, Matchbook Romance, Thursday, Thrice, Story Of the Year, Senses Fail, etc. (basically if you like screamo/post hardcore, you will enjoy this album). A few impressive songs are "I Caught Fire (In Your Eyes)" because of the sheer beauty of the song, "Sound Effects And Overdramatics" because it has a lot of power, and "I'm A fake" because there is also a lot of power and emotion in this song as well. I actually give this album a 4.75.