In Love And Death review by The Used

• Released: Sep 28, 2004
The Used: In Love And Death

This CD has alot more sound effects in the CD than their debut album. It's also alot more diverse. They have slow songs, hard songs, fast songs, and songs inbetween. Almost all of their songs have a catchy tune to it. Bert does an excellent job with the vocals. He can change from singing a high note to screaming his lungs out with no effort at all. It's amazing. The songs on their debut album kinda all sound the same, but this CD is the exact opposite. Each song has its own little catch to it. The only bad thing about the sound was the little sound effects they had before some of the songs, such as "Let It Bleed" and "Yesterday's Feelings" sometimes, you just want the song to start, and they don't do it.

"Small simple safe price... Rise the wake and carry me with all of my regrets. I am not afraid to die. I am not afraid to bleed, and f--k, and fight. I want the pain of payment. What's left but a section of pigmy sized cuts, much like a slew of a thousand unwanted f--ks. Would you be my little cut? Would you be my thousand f--ks? And make mark leaving space for the guilt to be liquid, to fill and spill over and under my thoughts [music comes in] my sad, sorry, selfish cry out to the cutter. I'm cutting trying to picture your black, broken heart. Love is not like anything, especially a f--king knife!" This is the poem Bert recites before "I'm A Fake" some people who've submitted reviews think that he's a little poser and should shut up. What they don't know is that his girlfriend died, and most of his songs on this CD are about her and her death. So all of you people who don't like the lyrics on this CD, there's something wrong with you. I loved the lyrics on this CD. It had hard lyrics like "Kill! Smile! Cut it out for me this time!" And softer lyrics like "And it's hard to say how I feel today with years gone by... and I cry." Bert may have a few problems in his head, but hey, who can blame him. If you're a real Used fan, by now, you should know what he's gone through. Sometimes he can get really gruesome with the lyrics, but he can write one hell of a song.

In my opinion, this album is so much better than their debut album. Don't take me wrong though, their first album was really good, but this album is probably the best one I've ever owned. Some of my favorite songs are "Sound Effects And Overdramatics," "I'm A Fake" and "Listening." Sound Effects And Overdramatics has an amazing chorus to it. Bert absolutely screams his lungs out. I'm A Fake is a great song because of how deep Bert is in the lyrics, and how catchy the chorus is. Listening is an overall good song because it has a catchy guitar riff, and it has a pretty hard second verse, so it balances itself out. I love how Bert can put into words what people try to do everyday, but unlike everybody, he succeeds and makes it sound good. The diversity on this CD is something that you don't see alot. But, if you're somebody who's into all screaming, or all soft music, don't get this CD. You have to be into both. I highly reccomend this CD. This CD got me into the screaming type of music. If it were stolen or lost, I would definantly buy a new one. This is my favorite CD I have. This is a must have CD.