In Love And Death review by The Used

• Released: Sep 28, 2004
The Used: In Love And Death

The Used are considered by many to be the torch runners in the new screamo genre. They were really one of the first "screamo" bands to break through big in the mainstream, thanks in part to their melodic tunes, heartbroken lyrics, and of course off-the-wall screams. Now, personally I don't like screamo that much. I don't hate it, but it's certainly not what I usually listen to. However, I love the sound on this CD. They really moved away from just distorted guitar and constant screaming like so many other bands are doing these days. In fact, a lot of the songs on this album are acoustic ballads, or catchy anthem like songs. There's only a few that involve a lot of screaming, and since they're few and far between, they really shine.

I have to admit, when I heard the lyrics, I was surprised. I never thought of Bert as much of a songwriter judging by the first CD, and wasn't expecting a lot from him on this one. However, he surprised me, and with the new softer sound, Bert's lyrics have improved a thousand times. Lyrics are the most important thing in music to me, and I normally listen to the likes of Kurt Cobain and Jim Morrison, and I have to say Bert is actually really good. Bert also has a beautiful voice in my opinion. He doesn't sound near as whiny as he did on the last one, and instead has an impressive range, and does some awesome harmonizing. And of course, when the situation calls for it, he still has the best scream in music today (in my opinion).

For me, In Love And Death blows their original CD out of the market. And for that matter, it totally destroys any other screamo CD out there. The Used have evolved a lot as artists since their last CD, and it really shows on this album. This album got me through a lot of tough times, and I'd definitely buy it back if something happened to it. I really love pretty much everything about this album. If you have any interest in screamo, or melodic pop stuff, I highly suggest you check this out.