In Love And Death review by The Used

• Released: Sep 28, 2004
The Used: In Love And Death

Wow, the sound of this album was great, and it (at times) showed the softer side of The Used with songs like "Lunacy Fringe" and "All That I've Got"/"Cut Up Angels." They also showed their Screamo side with songs like "I'm A Fake" and "Sound Effects And Overdramatics." Sometimes the poppier songs like "Lunacy Fringe" and "Yesterday's Feelings" can get kinda boring, which is kind of a let down for the album. I should also note that The Used have a much different style on this album then they did on their self-titled debut CD, but it's not a bad thing, its a pretty good change in my opinion. 01. Take It Away - good song, the lyrics on this one are one of my favourites of the CD. 02. I Caught Fire - the pop side begins to kick in here, still a nice song though, and some good lyrics. 03. Let It Bleed - a great song, I think its about the Bert's Crystal Meth addiction. 04. All That I've Got - about the death of Bert's dog David Bowie. Made into a single, good song. 05. Cut Up Angels - again, the pop side of the CD, this a ok song, in my opinion. Not a favourite of mine though. 06. Listening - an ok pop song, not much more to say. 07. Yesterday's Feelings - I don't like this song much, but you should still take a listen to it, and give it a chance. 08. Light With A Sharpened Edge - for some reason this song just "does it" for me. I enjoy this song. Another soft song. 09. Sound Effects And Overdramatics - one of the harder songs, it's really kickass. Awesome lyrics too. 10. Hard To Say - not much to say about this one, again more poppy type stuff. 11. Lunacy Fringe - the poppiest song on the album, but I enjoy this one alot. Good lyrics (in my opinion). 12. I'm A Fake - the best way to end the album for sure. Sounds a bit like Take It Away, with the "I'm A Fake" repeated in the chorus. 13. Under Pressure (feat. MCR) - awesome cover of Queen/David Bowies Under Pressure, anyone should enjoy it.

These are definately some great lyrics, and Bert McCracken can really write well. There are some great lyrics on songs like "I'm A Fake," "Let It Bleed", and "Sound Effects And Overdramatics." The meanings for many of the songs could be percieved differently by everyone, which is always good. Bert McCracken also shows us his amazing screaming on this album, which is awsome, he has a magnificent voice. The lyrics and the sound blend in great, and you could really get lots of help when writing songs by listening to this album.

I would definately buy this album. If your a fan of the first album, or you enjoyed one of the singles, then definately buy this, and if you want a good album the get this. I would buy it again if I lost it. It's a change from the first album, so don't expect the same stuff from before on this one.