In Love And Death review by The Used

• Released: Sep 28, 2004
The Used: In Love And Death

To start off with we hear what I'd call a really freaking cool intro, I always loved the lock and load sound alongside guitars, makes it sound really aggressive. "Take it away" is the first song on the album and it makes me go "I gotta keep listening" by how incredibly simple the guitar lines are, but also how incredible effective they are, the basic principle governing this album I'd say is simple but effective, sounds cool, but not mainstreamy. "I Caught Fire" is the next song and it opens with possibly the coolest, easiest guitar riff ever, then after the intro finishes Quinn cracks on some Nirvana reverb then gets quickly back into filling the job of rhythm. "Let It Bleed" never caught my attention at first but when I listened to it again I realised how well everything blended in, Berts wonderful voice, Jepha's precision bass work, Quinns amazing guitar sound, and on most of the album Brendan's ability to make any drum sound he wants. "All That I've Got" is something worth noticing, probably another fav, but why it's so good lies in the way Bert uses his voice and that way he places the lyrics to make everything fit so snuggly into this nice little pocket which is "All That I've Got". "Cut Up angels" is really a song I'd listen to if I was blind off my face, it's smooth to start and keeps it's drunken rhythm all the way to the end, minus the distortion guitar strumming. "Listening" has the intro the chorus and the dark edge which makes it sound so incredibly good. Bert's screams still ring true and Quinn does a very good job in timing his guitar rhythm. "Yesterday's feelings" is something which shall ever keep me guessing, I just can't figure out what instruments are making some of the music. This song is very much your break from the Rock, it'll let you mellow out. Accusing a song on this album of being crap is a crime. The cover of "Under Pressure" was really cool too.

I really wish you guys would put an 11 here. Bert is a genius. Laying lyrics over the songs in the way he does cannot be replicated. The lyrics on every song are brilliantly sung and all the lyrics make perfect sense and are incredibly catchy, it deserves more than a 10.

Emo is a genre, one of which The Used have been classified. I pay no attention to labels, and in doing so I listen to good music 24/7 365 days a year, even on christmas. This is the perect follow up to their debut, which in my opinion is the best debut album ever made. If your paranoid of Emo, then fine miss out, if you love guitar and are looking for an explosive, well rounded, perfectly recorded and mastered album, then buy it. Now.

Ballrooms
    This album was my life for my first year of high school. Before listening to the used I had only listened to the more mainstream poppier stuff on the radio, but loving this album opened the door to the world of emo/hardcore for me and that door is still hanging wide open. THis is probably my top favourite album of all time. Ever.