In Love And Death Review

The Used: In Love And Death
Released: Sep 28, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Emo, Indie Rock, Alternative Pop/Rock, Punk Revival
The Used are back with a new CD entitled In Love And Death. The album is very similar to their self-entitled album.
 Lyrics: 9.2
 8.6
 9.2
In Love And Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 04, 2004

Sound: Did The Used dissapoint? Let me begin by saying The Used are a very very very original band and on originality the band did not dissapoint. Now when it comes down to it, your taste will totally matter when it comes to In Love And Death. The screaming from Bert Mccrackin which had become such a staple in The Used music, the strategic, gut wrenching (litterally) screams have been toned down and Berts singing is left to carry the album, which he does with flying colors. This is what makes The Used very unique. Where some bands will fall back on one schtick or gimmick, The Used fall back on talent and song writing ability. They may not be the best songs in the world, but they have a knack for meolody. The band is a bit less heavy as well but there are songs (I'm A Fake, Take It Away, Sound Effects) that reak of the heavyness The Used employed on previous discs. // 10

Lyrics: Like I stated above, Bert does a fantastic job mixing singing and screaming in the album. I have always found Berts lyrics very deep, and if you read the insert sleeve you see that he admits to who he is writing to. This puts a bit more meaning behind the past lyrics if you care to listen. // 10

Overall Impression: Going into listening In Love And Death, I knew it would be hard to top The Useds first album, and I would not say they topped it, but they have met the same bar. The sound is more mature and more developed. Although I could of used a smidge more screaming in the album (Bert sounded more hurt in the first album and it helped to convey the emotion) I can't wait to fast foward about two more years and hear the next batch of tunes this band comes out with. // 10

In Love And Death Reviewed by: majik251, on october 05, 2004

Sound: The sound on this album might be a letdown to those of you out there who were really into the hardcore side of The Used, who have diversified their sound quite a bit in this album. There are some songs that have almost a poppie sound that reminds me of Good Charlotte or Simple Plan and some songs that are so crowded with background instrumental flare with bells and strings and artificial beats that it almost sounds like Jimmie Eat World in some places. Though it may sound like I don't like this new sound, it's been something that grows on someone used to the harder sound. The whole album sounds more like "Poetic Tragedy" or "Taste Of Ink" (which are my two favorite songs they do). Songs like "Let It Bleed," "Yesterday's Feelings" and "Hard To say" make this album totally worth any money you spend on the CD or any time spent pirating songs. // 8

Lyrics: Bert is one of the better writers in his genre. That's only talking about his writing, his voice is untouchable. I know of no other artist in the punk/screamo world that can touch his incredible range, purity of sound, and that intense, full screaming. This album is no different. It stretched and expanded Bert's vocal capasity, much to the enjoyment and awe of any listener. // 10

Overall Impression: I don't like this album as much as Maybe Memories, but that was an incredible album to follow up. I find this new sound growing on me the more I listen to it, and it has something for every mood that I might need music for. The only things I could say that I don't like about this album are songs like "Lunacy Fringe" that just seem to have so much background fluff that it makes the band sound like someone else. If it was stolen, I'd probably just download "Yesterday's Feelings," "Let It Bleed," "All That I've Got" and "Hard To Say." // 8

In Love And Death Reviewed by: punk0mi, on september 20, 2004

Sound: The Used are back with a new CD entitled In Love And Death. The street release date is 9-28-04, but I managed to get a advanced copy. It is defiantly the works of the Used with its dark but catchy riffs and the beloved screams of Bert on the mic. The album is very similar to their self-entitled album. The only real difference I can hear in this album is that there is more use of electronics and orchestral strings. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are typical of the Used. Bert's skill is great, despite his on-stage vomiting-on-stage-pyrotechnics. I believe he has quite a dynamic voice, which fits in quite well with this album. // 8

Overall Impression: In Love and Death is on par with their self-entitled album. Here is the track listing for the album: 01. I'm a Fake 02. I Caught Fire (In Your Eyes) 03. Let It Bleed 04. All That I've Got 05. Cut Up Angels 06. Listening 07. Yesterday Feelings 08. Light with A Sharpened Edge 09. SoundEffects And Overdramatics 10. It's Hard To Say 11. Lunacy Fringe 12. Take It Away "SoundEffects and Overdramatics" is my personal favorite so far. It is a very "high-energy" song with some clever vocals. "I'm A Fake" is an awesome song with probably one of the best and most interesting spoken work introductions I've ever heard. "All That I've Got", "Cut Up Angels", "Yesterday Feelings", "It's Hard To Say" and "Lunacy Fringe" are the albums slower electrical/acoustic songs. The only real thing about this album I don't like is the use of extra electronic/generated sounds. If this album was to be lost or stolen I'd probably move on and get something different but it will be worth you 12-16 bucks. // 8

In Love And Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 01, 2004

Sound: The Used's new album, In Love And Death, has a unique sound. After listening to the first track, I realized that it was still The Used, but it was different from anything the band had done before. All of the instruments are very clear-sounding and sound great. There are some really nice guitar riffs on this one, along with some really catchy drum beats and more of Bert's amazing piano skills. Also, in recording, I think they did some new things with Bert's voice. In a few songs, his voice is actually layered over himself singing in a higher pitch. It's hard to explain, but it sounds really good on the album. I think my only problem with it is that there are a few more slow songs on this album than there were on their debut album. I think the sound quality makes up for it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics this time around are a little better, in my opinion. The last track ("I'm A Fake") begins with an amazing spoken verse/poem. As many fans of The Used know, Bert has this unique way of getting lyrics through in a beautiful soft-sounding voice, a louder voice, or an ear-shattering scream. Combined with some maniacal laughs throughout the album, it works very well with the music. // 10

Overall Impression: I can't really compare this CD to any other albums by any other artists. It really sounds like something new to me. But, again, that's just me. I could go ahead and list some of my favorite songs, but it wouldn't do any of you any good. You all should pick up this album yourselves and find what songs you like. My favorite feature about this album is how it has a way of capturing me in the music and the lyrics. Inside the booklet, there's a lot of really sweet artwork drawn by the guys at www.EyeSuckInk.com. If I had to choose something to hate, the laughter can get annoying after a while. If someone stole this CD from me (cause I don't put this CD down long enough to lose it.) I would definitely throw down another $10 to get another copy without hesitation. // 10

In Love And Death Reviewed by: Jesusdude89, on october 04, 2004

Sound: The sound on this album is amazing. It uses very high-energy guitar and drums in songs such as Take It Away, one of the more rockish songs on the album. On other songs, such as Yesterday's Feelings, it uses lots of acoustics and electronics to great a certain feeling. Bert stretches his vocal range, and proves he can do some amazing things. He has certainly improved since their self titled debut and so has his health. Also, the album, as described by the band, is made to feel as if there's a constant ticking in the background (even literal in the opening to Let It Bleed), and that you don't know until it's too late whether it was a clock or a time bomb. Also, the album uses very unique way of making the songs flow together perfectly, through certain transitions, (such as carnival music and crazy screaming at the end of All That I've Got and beginning of Cut Up Angels). The background is something to keep track of in this album, because sometimes you can hear Bert harmonizing with himself, or screaming at himself. Sound Effects and Overdramatics features guest vocals (or I should say screams) from Sean Ingram, of Coalesce. It's easy to figure out which screams are his and which are Bert's, because of the vast difference in style, and I think it's good to embrace such differences. One of my favorite songs on the album, The Lunacy Fringe, has a full string orchestra. Think Lovecats, and you'll know the feeling, but it has the uniqueness that surpasses the now-cliche 'old jazz' song. The sound is very unique, and is considerably different from their first album, with a different feeling. (Distinctly noticed when listneing to the old album after the new.) // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in some songs seem very typical, and trite, such as All That I've Got. But in songs such as I'm A Fake, Light With A Sharpened, and I Caught Fire feature great lyrics, a lot of (I'm assuming here), Bert's longstanding battle with drugs, which he has finally overcome. The lyrics on this album are much darker, and not as blunt as the old album's. (For reference, check out Say Days Ago, probably his bluntest song about drugs) The lyrics in some cases seem to be flexible, but in others, there is very noticeable similarities. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall Impression is great. This cd is amazing, and the Used is a very inspirational band for me. I didn't expect it to be this great, and I love every minute of it. Bert, Quinn, Jeph, and Branden are all highly skilled musicians (especially since Quinn does all guitar on the album). My least favorite song on the album would have to be either All That I've Got, mainly for his singing in the verses, or Hard To Say. I would definantly buy this album again if I lost it. // 10

In Love And Death Reviewed by: ILIKEMUSICALOT, on october 06, 2004

Sound: Well let's see, I honestly like this sound much better than The Used's self title debut album. Bert uses his voice more and sings much better. The hardcore sound they had, well they toned that down a lot. Most of the songs are slower than what you would say was normal on their debut CD. Only a few songs have a lot of screaming. This CD is easier to like because it doesn't take getting used to some of the songs like the 1st one did for me. Some of the songs off the 1st CD were so off the wall it took me a while to actually like them. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, well I can't say they are great, but they aren't bad. It's the basic formula used today for the hardcore-emo bands. You're tough, you're not afraid, she broke my fucking heart, basically those are the messages. Bert kind of disappointed me here at the fact that he'll say some pretty stupid things. For example, on Take It Away, which is, don't get me wrong, an awesome song (one of my faves), but there is this one part where it says "brothers and sisters, I'm right here with you." This isn't rap and we make fun of rap for saying things like that. The next example is the worst, on track 12, I'm a Fake, he says "I'm not afraid to die, I'm not afraid to bleed, to fuck, to fight" and also, "Will you be my little cut? Will you be my thousand fucks?" I like The Used but why did he try to sound so bad ass there. If he's so rebellious and doesn't care what people think of him, why did he announce all that crap to the whole world? If you don't care, you don't say anything, you just don't worry about it. The worst part is, he's not even singing that part. There is no music, no nothing, just him talking. It's right before the actual song comes in. Bert was nothing like this in the first CD. The actual song to that track is very good though. // 6

Overall Impression: Aside from the lyrics, I like the change they made. They have more of a sound to their slower songs on their self titled album, which were the songs I liked the most. My favorites on this CD would be, of course, Take It Away, I Caught Fire, Let It Bleed, Yesterday's Feelings and Lunacy Fringe. The guy who said Lunacy Fringe was not a good song, he can piss off, that song is the best damned song on this CD in my opinion. Bert sings it really awesome. A successful sophmore attempt by The Used. // 10

In Love And Death Reviewed by: RoughDraft, on october 11, 2004

Sound: The sound of their CD is pretty good, I guess this is emo music, due to the screaming and rage in it. The sound quality of the reconrd is also great, at the beggining of two or three songs the guy talks or you hear the cocking of a gun or a tatoo machine (if that's what it's called), turning on but that just adds to the song. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are great, kinda complicated sometimes, but they work! Many of the songs are about girls or just feeling down but they're really good as is the music. They do tend to scream but much less in this album that in their other self-titled one (I don't know about "Maybe Memories", because I didn't buy it, it was mosltey just live in concert with 1 or 2 new songs). One thing that bothers me a bit about the lyrics is how they tend to repeat their chorus' a little too much, but that's only in a couple songs and the songs still work very well, as much musically as lyrically. The lead singer, Bert McCracken, has a great voice, not the type to belt out a high note but he and the rest of the band make all the songs work well and as I said, sometimes they just get into a bit of screaming (wich works with the intensity of the songs). // 8

Overall Impression: It sounds a lot like their other albums, The Used and Maybe Memories. I have found that musically they have evoloved, like with track 11, Lunacy Fringe, it tends to have a bluesey tune and works really well especially since instead of screaming they have great lyrics and an awesome rythm to accompany it. What I really enjoy about this album and their others is that you can listen to all of their album, not just listen to 3-4 tracks over and over and over again! One other thing is that their CD case is really well made, colourful (slightly creepy) and full of great drawings and it contains all the lyrics (I hate when bands don't have lyrics with the CD) There isn't anything I hate about the album, I love the band! If this CD were stolen I'd definatley buy myself a new one even if it did cost me 21$ (Canadian). // 10

In Love And Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 18, 2004

Sound: This cd is very unique and quite diferent from their first cd. The music is deffinatly not as heavy as their first cd but you learn to get used to it. If you have an open mind about good music then you will learn to respect the used for trying something diferent. There are a couple slow tempo songs on the cd like "Hard To Say" and "Yesterday Feelings" but there are also songs that still have the ferocity of their first cd. Like "Lisening" and "Sound Affects And Over Dramatics". Then theres the fair medium. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are definatly good on this record. Bert is an amazing artist and hes hard to match. Some of his lyrics have diferent meanings then it may seem, you just have to listen to them more and more. Songs like "Light With A Sharpend Edge" express burts feelings on losing loved ones and still living on with that pain. // 10

Overall Impression: Well all I can say overall is that In Love And Death is definatly my album of the year. It's just because The Used have made such a move with their sound and still manage to make their cd absolutly amazing and still have all the emotion of their first cd. This is a cd that will deffinatly grow on you but when it does you will not stop listening to it. // 10

In Love And Death Reviewed by: UG Team, on october 22, 2004

Sound: For some time the rock community has been increasing by the bands playing to some extent another kind of music in comparison to the conventional pattern. Along with well-known acts of traditional styles, such as hard rock, punk, emo, alternative, younger bands that are mixing these streams have originated. One of the striking examples is The Used. They began their career in 2002 with the self-titled debut. It was unkown band which has performed only twenty shows in and around their hometown Orem at that time. Since then, the glory poured on the guy's hands -- they rocked out at Ozzfest and Vans Warped Tour, and most recently they were splitting the stage with Linkin Park during the "Project Revolution" tour. They literally rushed into mainstream, stiring up the masses with their expressive guitar driven rock. The Used's latest release "In Love And Death" is worth-while report of the done work. Be prepared to have a good rouse, while listening to "Take It Away", the record's first song -- it's a very emotional start in the likeness of the rest of the album, though it's an awful mistake to think that the whole album was made in the same key. Not at all! Undoubtly, this is a very intense and fervent record, featuring a few nice exclusions such as the fourth track "All That I've Got" with its beautiful tunefulness, acoustic track "Yesterday's Feelings" with its mysterious percussion introduction, and a one more ballad "Hard to Say". Another great track of the album is mid-tempo, piano-based "Cut Up Angels" with tortured screaming of impassioned lyrics. The ninth track "Sound Effects And Overdramatics" is the most heavy and agressive song with its crushing guitar riffs and so impressively strong vocals. Rapid and emotional "I'm a Fake" -- just as the opening track "Take It Away" -- blows your head off completely. These two tracks reflect the general mood of the band's creative work. // 10

Lyrics: All the lyrics are emotional and agressive. They are not too easy and open for underdstanding as it might seem with your first opinion. The guys are from Orem, with its deep church-based culture, and this place was a good incubator for the band to rear the spirit of contradiction. Ask singer Bert McCracken what he's rebelling against, and he will respond, "whattaya got?" You can feel that spirit while listening both to the music and lyrics of In Love And Death -- it requires some time to understand its mystery and you'll be engrossed in thoughts while trying to solve the puzzle. As to the vocal skills of McCracken -- it's just amazing! It's really so much impressvie and plain at the same time that you wouldn't stay indifferent to his perfect work. // 10

Overall Impression: Although year 2004 was fruitful for all sorts of punk/emo-like releases, it lacked the leader or some kind of outstanding record... untill the day In Love And Death was released. My Chemical Romance, Thrice, AFI mixes up the raw energy of emotioanal punk with screaming vocals and solid guitar work, though The Used had an ace in the hole prepared to give out at the right moment. Being imbued to the backbone with an energy, In Love And Death is devilishly solid and racy album. There are no similar tracks on the record, unless you will listen to the first and last track only. On September 12th, 2004 -- the date of release of In Love And Death -- The Used had demonstrated their right to occupy the winner's place at the rock scene. Unlike the most of the recent releases In Love And Death stands out from the whole mess with its strong and actual content. Perfectly done! // 10

In Love And Death Reviewed by: im not mental, on november 01, 2004

Sound: It's a lot darker than the first album. Jeph's bass is very noticeable, quinn is a great guitarist with his own original style of playing, and branden is a great drummer. If I hear one of thier songs on the radio, I automatically know it's The Used. Lunacy Fringe is the song that's not like the others, but still, it's very catchy. // 10

Lyrics: Good ol' bert. As with the first album, the lyrics kick ass. Like I said, this album is a lot darker, so the lyrics are darker too. They go together like oreos and milk. and bert has a great voice and scream. // 10

Overall Impression: Again, a lot darker than the last album. My fave songs are Take It Away, I Caught Fire In Your Eyes, Listening, Hard To Say, I'm A Fake, and Lunacy Fringe, but the whole album is great. The only thing I hate about it is that it's so short! I wish it was longer. Maybe they should've put just a little on it too. Since a friend of mine burned it for me, if it were lost I'd just buy a copy. You might also like Story Of The Year, Taking Back Sunday, Green Day, Funeral For A Friend, and My Chemical Romance. Another note, The Used kicked ass at Projekt Revolution. // 10

In Love And Death Reviewed by: hate13breeder, on november 24, 2004

Sound: I have noticed a lot of growth musically on this album. The guitar is a little more subtle and musical, the bass lines carry most of the melody, and the drums have gotten a bit more complex (ex. verses for "Take It Away"). Also, the vocal melodies are perfect, espeacially when Bert utilizes the upper register (ex. "Hard To Say" and "I Caught Fire (In Your Eyes). There isn't as much downright screaming on this album, but there are moments when they are very powerful (ex. "Sound Effects And Overdramatics"). // 10

Lyrics: Bert has grown a lot lyrically on this album. Many of the songs feature his powerful range along with driving lyrics. (ex. "Cut Up Angels" - "If we cut out the bad well then we'd have nothing left, like I cut up your mouth the night I stuffed it all in." And "Listening" - "If your heart's still beating it must be the blood"). These are just a few examples of the variety and imagery that Bert uses to get his point across. // 8

Overall Impression: Honestly, I haven't bought this cd yet, I burned it from a friend. If your a huge Used fan, you probably already have it. If not, I recommend it to anyone whe has interest's in bands such as: My Chemical Romance, Matchbook Romance, Thursday, Thrice, Story Of the Year, Senses Fail, etc. (basically if you like screamo/post hardcore, you will enjoy this album). A few impressive songs are "I Caught Fire (In Your Eyes)" because of the sheer beauty of the song, "Sound Effects And Overdramatics" because it has a lot of power, and "I'm A fake" because there is also a lot of power and emotion in this song as well. I actually give this album a 4.75. // 8

In Love And Death Reviewed by: starbomb13, on january 03, 2005

Sound: I would say the songs have gotten more melodic, more of a rhythm and beat you can move to. In some ways, the sound has changed from the first album, but you can still tell it's a used cd. Still a lot of screaming, but it's not screaming like George from Alexisonfire, the screaming is in the right places of the songs. I'm lovin' the guitar riffs, really catchy, the drums you can't help beating your head to, the bass goes right with the guitar, and the singing is infectious with a touch of pop. // 10

Lyrics: The title of the album probably tells it all it's mostly about love. The lyrics do seem like they've been thought out for awhile and they are catchy and not cheesed up, like a lot of love songs. After a while though it is kinda repetitive, and the listener wants a topic other than love. Singing skills great screaming, pure clear voice. // 8

Overall Impression: Well it's a hell lot better than the last couple albums I bought, thank god it was a relief from the shitty albums other people made. It's kinda like an energizer album-not an album I'd listen to while sitting on a chair. My fave songs from the album have gotta be from track 1 to 5. I love that the used seem to be more thoughtful than a lot of other artists. I hate that the lyrics kinda get worn out. If it were stolen or lost first of all, if anybody stole something from me I'd hunt them down and this album is no exception. Second I'd probably buy the album if I had to. // 8

In Love And Death Reviewed by: pefectocean, on january 05, 2005

Sound: The sound on this album definitely has a lot more energy on it as appose to the first album. Tracks like "Take It Away" and Listening are perfect examples of how the guitars and drums have became faster and harder. Then there are tracks like "Hard To Say" and "Yesterday's Feelings" that are the complete opposite, slow and melodic. You great diverse range of sound on this album which is sure to please every one. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are what personally stood out for me on this album. Bert is (in my opinion) one of the best writers in his genre. I don't know well any other singers in the scremo/punk genre that has the same vocal range as Bert and the lyrical diversity. // 10

Overall Impression: I think that "In Love And Death" is The Used best album to date. Mainly for the fact that it has more energy and is musically more diverse than there first record. There are so many good songs on this album it is hard to chose the best ones. But I believe the most impressive tracks are "Light With A Sharpened Edge," "I'm A Fake," I Caught Fire (In Your Eyes)" and "All That I've Got." If this CD were lost or stolen there would be no doubt in my mind whether or not I would by it again, I would already be at the shop now. This is an excellent record that I believe everyone should give a listen to. It is very close to being my favorite record of all time. // 10

In Love And Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 17, 2005

Sound: This CD has alot more sound effects in the CD than their debut album. It's also alot more diverse. They have slow songs, hard songs, fast songs, and songs inbetween. Almost all of their songs have a catchy tune to it. Bert does an excellent job with the vocals. He can change from singing a high note to screaming his lungs out with no effort at all. It's amazing. The songs on their debut album kinda all sound the same, but this CD is the exact opposite. Each song has its own little catch to it. The only bad thing about the sound was the little sound effects they had before some of the songs, such as "Let It Bleed" and "Yesterday's Feelings" sometimes, you just want the song to start, and they don't do it. // 10

Lyrics: "Small simple safe price... Rise the wake and carry me with all of my regrets. I am not afraid to die. I am not afraid to bleed, and f--k, and fight. I want the pain of payment. What's left but a section of pigmy sized cuts, much like a slew of a thousand unwanted f--ks. Would you be my little cut? Would you be my thousand f--ks? And make mark leaving space for the guilt to be liquid, to fill and spill over and under my thoughts [music comes in] my sad, sorry, selfish cry out to the cutter. I'm cutting trying to picture your black, broken heart. Love is not like anything, especially a f--king knife!" This is the poem Bert recites before "I'm A Fake" some people who've submitted reviews think that he's a little poser and should shut up. What they don't know is that his girlfriend died, and most of his songs on this CD are about her and her death. So all of you people who don't like the lyrics on this CD, there's something wrong with you. I loved the lyrics on this CD. It had hard lyrics like "Kill! Smile! Cut it out for me this time!" And softer lyrics like "And it's hard to say how I feel today with years gone by... and I cry." Bert may have a few problems in his head, but hey, who can blame him. If you're a real Used fan, by now, you should know what he's gone through. Sometimes he can get really gruesome with the lyrics, but he can write one hell of a song. // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion, this album is so much better than their debut album. Don't take me wrong though, their first album was really good, but this album is probably the best one I've ever owned. Some of my favorite songs are "Sound Effects And Overdramatics," "I'm A Fake" and "Listening." Sound Effects And Overdramatics has an amazing chorus to it. Bert absolutely screams his lungs out. I'm A Fake is a great song because of how deep Bert is in the lyrics, and how catchy the chorus is. Listening is an overall good song because it has a catchy guitar riff, and it has a pretty hard second verse, so it balances itself out. I love how Bert can put into words what people try to do everyday, but unlike everybody, he succeeds and makes it sound good. The diversity on this CD is something that you don't see alot. But, if you're somebody who's into all screaming, or all soft music, don't get this CD. You have to be into both. I highly reccomend this CD. This CD got me into the screaming type of music. If it were stolen or lost, I would definantly buy a new one. This is my favorite CD I have. This is a must have CD. // 10

In Love And Death Reviewed by: redshademotion, on may 03, 2005

Sound: The Used are considered by many to be the torch runners in the new screamo genre. They were really one of the first "screamo" bands to break through big in the mainstream, thanks in part to their melodic tunes, heartbroken lyrics, and of course off-the-wall screams. Now, personally I don't like screamo that much. I don't hate it, but it's certainly not what I usually listen to. However, I love the sound on this CD. They really moved away from just distorted guitar and constant screaming like so many other bands are doing these days. In fact, a lot of the songs on this album are acoustic ballads, or catchy anthem like songs. There's only a few that involve a lot of screaming, and since they're few and far between, they really shine. // 8

Lyrics: I have to admit, when I heard the lyrics, I was surprised. I never thought of Bert as much of a songwriter judging by the first CD, and wasn't expecting a lot from him on this one. However, he surprised me, and with the new softer sound, Bert's lyrics have improved a thousand times. Lyrics are the most important thing in music to me, and I normally listen to the likes of Kurt Cobain and Jim Morrison, and I have to say Bert is actually really good. Bert also has a beautiful voice in my opinion. He doesn't sound near as whiny as he did on the last one, and instead has an impressive range, and does some awesome harmonizing. And of course, when the situation calls for it, he still has the best scream in music today (in my opinion). // 10

Overall Impression: For me, In Love And Death blows their original CD out of the market. And for that matter, it totally destroys any other screamo CD out there. The Used have evolved a lot as artists since their last CD, and it really shows on this album. This album got me through a lot of tough times, and I'd definitely buy it back if something happened to it. I really love pretty much everything about this album. If you have any interest in screamo, or melodic pop stuff, I highly suggest you check this out. // 8

In Love And Death Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 09, 2005

Sound: Compared to the band's first album, I think they have done alot of growing. There is more to the music now than a grunged out guiter and screaming. Now don't get me wrong, their first album is a masterpiece (I'm a hardcore The Used fan), but thier sound on this album has progressed alot. // 10

Lyrics: Bert McCracken is a wonderful song writer. His lyrics are very percise, but at the same time very vague. For a shallow person with no feelings, the lyrics wouldn't make sense, but for screamo fans, there are so many ways what bert is saying can be interpreted. And the way they are written makes all the difference. Bert's voice is perfect for the music, too. He doesn't scream as much on this album as he does on the first one, but when he does, it fits the music. What the lyrics say and how Bert says them fills me with so much emotion, he really makes me feel the music. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD is a lifeline. No matter what's going on, there is a song for it on this CD. And the music is played and sung with such artistic talent that I can put the CD in, and drift off into another world and really connect with the music. It's beautiful. // 10

In Love And Death Reviewed by: DiCe_GuRl, on may 24, 2005

Sound: The Used for some reason always remind me a little bit of so many other bands, e.g. AFI. Some people may agree and some people may dissagree. But The Used's sound is always unique, and personally, I love it! Their new album In Love and Death has so many different styles of music, so I think they've also taken up the oppurtunity on this record to widen their variety. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are awesome. They have so many meanings and if you think about some of them harder you can pick up hidden meanings. I love lyrics like that, they always seem to catch your attention and make you think. The singing and the screaming on the album is great and always fits in with the music and the lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is one of my favourite albums at the moment, I think its awesome and everyone should have it haha! ' My favourite songs on the album are: Take It Away, Listening, Light With A Sharpened Edge, Sound Effects And Over Dramatics, Hard To Say, I'm a fake. There's nothing I really particually hate on this album, except track 7. I will admit that I dont like that track, its just not The Used at all. Bad bad song. If I did loose this album or if it was stolen, yes I would buy it again! // 10

In Love And Death Reviewed by: theDood, on february 03, 2006

Sound: Wow, the sound of this album was great, and it (at times) showed the softer side of The Used with songs like "Lunacy Fringe" and "All That I've Got"/"Cut Up Angels." They also showed their Screamo side with songs like "I'm A Fake" and "Sound Effects And Overdramatics." Sometimes the poppier songs like "Lunacy Fringe" and "Yesterday's Feelings" can get kinda boring, which is kind of a let down for the album. I should also note that The Used have a much different style on this album then they did on their self-titled debut CD, but it's not a bad thing, its a pretty good change in my opinion. 01. Take It Away - good song, the lyrics on this one are one of my favourites of the CD. 02. I Caught Fire - the pop side begins to kick in here, still a nice song though, and some good lyrics. 03. Let It Bleed - a great song, I think its about the Bert's Crystal Meth addiction. 04. All That I've Got - about the death of Bert's dog David Bowie. Made into a single, good song. 05. Cut Up Angels - again, the pop side of the CD, this a ok song, in my opinion. Not a favourite of mine though. 06. Listening - an ok pop song, not much more to say. 07. Yesterday's Feelings - I don't like this song much, but you should still take a listen to it, and give it a chance. 08. Light With A Sharpened Edge - for some reason this song just "does it" for me. I enjoy this song. Another soft song. 09. Sound Effects And Overdramatics - one of the harder songs, it's really kickass. Awesome lyrics too. 10. Hard To Say - not much to say about this one, again more poppy type stuff. 11. Lunacy Fringe - the poppiest song on the album, but I enjoy this one alot. Good lyrics (in my opinion). 12. I'm A Fake - the best way to end the album for sure. Sounds a bit like Take It Away, with the "I'm A Fake" repeated in the chorus. 13. Under Pressure (feat. MCR) - awesome cover of Queen/David Bowies Under Pressure, anyone should enjoy it. // 7

Lyrics: These are definately some great lyrics, and Bert McCracken can really write well. There are some great lyrics on songs like "I'm A Fake," "Let It Bleed", and "Sound Effects And Overdramatics." The meanings for many of the songs could be percieved differently by everyone, which is always good. Bert McCracken also shows us his amazing screaming on this album, which is awsome, he has a magnificent voice. The lyrics and the sound blend in great, and you could really get lots of help when writing songs by listening to this album. // 9

Overall Impression: I would definately buy this album. If your a fan of the first album, or you enjoyed one of the singles, then definately buy this, and if you want a good album the get this. I would buy it again if I lost it. It's a change from the first album, so don't expect the same stuff from before on this one. // 8

In Love And Death Reviewed by: mullenmetal, on march 01, 2006

Sound: This album shows anger, emotions, its frantic and heartbreaking. They have taken elements from emo punk and post hardcore and fused them. Their sound is original even though you get some idiots saying that they are copying My Chemical Romance (but that's another story). I really enjoyed this album when I got it and still but some songs do some like other but still a good album. // 8

Lyrics: Bert Mcracken's song writing skills are good but he does moan about the odd girlfriend. In emotional songs lyrics get cheesy with other bands but no The Used Bert deserves credit for this. The lyrics fit in well with the music(but really if they did'nt I'm sure they wouldn't have a record deal). Bert voice is not great but above average he has quite a decent range. // 8

Overall Impression: People would be quik to compare them with My Chemical Romance I do see a resemblance but not an uncanny one. There are obvious filler tracks like Yesterdays Feelings and Sound Effects And Overdramitics. Also a few tracks sound the same like Yesterdays Feelings Hard To Say and Cut Up Angels but still a good album. // 8

In Love And Death Reviewed by: someperson, on june 22, 2007

Sound: The Used had a good career so far. Their 2nd CD was another great one. Just about every song on the CD is good. With songs like All That I've Got, Cut Up Angels, and I Caught Fire, you know it's going to be a good CD. They have heavier songs such as Listening and Sound Effects And Overdramatics, along with the softer songs, such as Yesterday's Feelings, and Light With A Sharpened Edge. A great balance of music. And The Used with My Chemical Romance performed the song Under Pressure very well, originally by Queen and David Bowie. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing, and meaningful. And they do not clash with the overall music. At times they swear alot, such as in the begining of I'm A Fake. Bert is an amazing singer, and did very very good on this album. You'll never get tired of hearing most of these songs. // 9

Overall Impression: Compared to The Used [the album], and Lies For The Liars, it is the best out of the three. The best songs on the CD are I Caught Fire, All That I've Got, Cut Up Angels, and Listening, and there are a lot of good songs on there too. I love the whole album! I dislike the beggining of I'm A Fake, and the four minutes of nothing after it's done. If I lost this CD, it would definately be one I would buy again, even if I had it saved somewhere else. It is one of my favorite CDs. // 9

In Love And Death Reviewed by: silver_and_cold, on september 03, 2007

Sound: Yeah, I think it's similar to their first album, but I still enjoy this album up to now. It is the same as well as different from the "The Used" album. For me, this is one of the albums that are catchy and original. In Love And Death 'ranges' from heavy screaming Sound Effects and Over Dramatics to like soft, pop-like Hard To Say. It's kinda sudden when, after hearing 'Listening', you hear this soft melody of 'Yesterday's Feelings'. There isn't much screaming in it, like their self-titled album had. They've added on some string instruments too. Anyways, I liked the sound of it, and didn't find it disappointing. But it can somewhat disappoint the fans who liked their hardcore sound better. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are really original. It's nice to hear something different from all that repetition that's going on in the mainstream rock bands. They're not exactly straight-forward, but I find them really meaningful. Bert writes good and sometimes weird lyrics and he's also good at screaming. He also writes about stuff that has happened to him or something like that, not just making up a random story then forming it to a song. His lyrics are something that people can relate to. I haven't found any artists that have better lyrics than them. // 10

Overall Impression: In Love And Death is such a great album you can listen to whenever you want. It would be one of the albums that I would put in my mp3 player. I really like "Let It Bleed", "I'm A Fake" and "Cut Up Angels". I love the beginning of 'I'm A Fake', it's different and awesome as. If this was stolen/lost, I'd buy it again. // 9

In Love And Death Reviewed by: martyrdood, on july 21, 2008

Sound: To start off with we hear what I'd call a really freaking cool intro, I always loved the lock and load sound alongside guitars, makes it sound really aggressive. "Take it away" is the first song on the album and it makes me go "I gotta keep listening" by how incredibly simple the guitar lines are, but also how incredible effective they are, the basic principle governing this album I'd say is simple but effective, sounds cool, but not mainstreamy. "I Caught Fire" is the next song and it opens with possibly the coolest, easiest guitar riff ever, then after the intro finishes Quinn cracks on some Nirvana reverb then gets quickly back into filling the job of rhythm. "Let It Bleed" never caught my attention at first but when I listened to it again I realised how well everything blended in, Berts wonderful voice, Jepha's precision bass work, Quinns amazing guitar sound, and on most of the album Brendan's ability to make any drum sound he wants. "All That I've Got" is something worth noticing, probably another fav, but why it's so good lies in the way Bert uses his voice and that way he places the lyrics to make everything fit so snuggly into this nice little pocket which is "All That I've Got". "Cut Up angels" is really a song I'd listen to if I was blind off my face, it's smooth to start and keeps it's drunken rhythm all the way to the end, minus the distortion guitar strumming. "Listening" has the intro the chorus and the dark edge which makes it sound so incredibly good. Bert's screams still ring true and Quinn does a very good job in timing his guitar rhythm. "Yesterday's feelings" is something which shall ever keep me guessing, I just can't figure out what instruments are making some of the music. This song is very much your break from the Rock, it'll let you mellow out. Accusing a song on this album of being crap is a crime. The cover of "Under Pressure" was really cool too. // 10

Lyrics: I really wish you guys would put an 11 here. Bert is a genius. Laying lyrics over the songs in the way he does cannot be replicated. The lyrics on every song are brilliantly sung and all the lyrics make perfect sense and are incredibly catchy, it deserves more than a 10. // 10

Overall Impression: Emo is a genre, one of which The Used have been classified. I pay no attention to labels, and in doing so I listen to good music 24/7 365 days a year, even on christmas. This is the perect follow up to their debut, which in my opinion is the best debut album ever made. If your paranoid of Emo, then fine miss out, if you love guitar and are looking for an explosive, well rounded, perfectly recorded and mastered album, then buy it. Now. // 10

Comments