Lies For The Liars review by The Used

• Released: May 22, 2007
The Used: Lies For The Liars

The sound in LFTL (Lies For The Liars) is a mix of all the instruments The Used plays plus overlays like Some other voice, screaming, strings and horns. The Used is capable of mix a lot of different styles like Screamo, punk-rock, hard rock and ballads. The Guitar work here is more creative and catchier than in the past records. The album is about how recent artist are so dishonestly, they even said that some of that bands are My Chemical Romance and Good Charlotte (their past drummer recorded drums for this album because of Branden's departure) Some of the overlays are pretty cool like the ones in the intro of "Find A Way" that features a lot of random sounds like a soda pop can and that kind of things, and there was a featured female singer who sung in "Wake The Dead" and made the song sound even better.

My impression of the lyrics is that Bert McCracken has improved in the lyrics process. Some of the best lyrics in the album are the ones in "The Ripper" ("Time Kills, Go Ask Jesus/I'm done Makes No Difference") and some kind of funny lyrics are the ones to "Liar Liar (Burn In Hell)" that features the nursery rhyme "Liar, Liar, Pants On Fire", and the lyrics to the Lead Single "The Bird And The Worm" are ones of the darker on the entire record. Bert McCracken's singig skills have improved a lot, he scream only when it's needed and now there's new screaming that is heavier and it can be heard on "Pretty Handsome Awkward", "The Ripper" and "Liar Liar (Burn In Hell)". In the song "Find A Way" Bert sings in a very nice way and i guess it's the best singing off the record, "Smother Me" has a nice singing too.

I can compare this album with "The Black Parade" by My Chemical Romance, and if you like Mtley Cre then you will love the guitar on "Pretty Handsome Awkward" The best songs in this record (in my opinion) are: "The Bird And The Worm", "The Ripper", "Pretty Handsome Awkward, "Earthquake", "Liar, Liar (Burn In Hell)" and "Wake The Dead". What I love about the album is that it's more grown up, and you can get relaxed with some songs like "Earthquake" or "Find A Way", the only thing I hate about this is that there are a lot of overdubbed effects, voice and guitar, I think that they should think about adding another guitar player. The other think I hate is the screaming at the beggining of "Wake The Dead" it's just annoying but it doesn't matter. If this album were stolen or lost I surely would bought another copy because this album is one of my favorites at the time. Keep The Hard Work

olheiser01
    I don't really know what the hell are up with people saying the used are generic and bert sucks. Well sorry there not all screamo for the immature ears. Music is more than screaming and heavy riffs. In this album they matured and took a different fun approach with different sounds and instrument. Its catchy yet randomly heavy almost creepy with his growls. I do agree they should add a bit more random screaming but besides that i didnt need a second time or third time i liked the album from the first time i listened to it. But one thing i hated was in wake the dead when its catchy and heavy sound just all of a sudden dies and it sounds like a girl singing and all la la. It ruined the intesnity of the song.