Lies For The Liars review by The Used

• Released: May 22, 2007
The Used: Lies For The Liars

The Used' 3rd sutdio album Lies for the Liers was pretty different compared to their 1st 2 releases, but by no means was it a dissapointment. Tracks like the 1st 2 off the album, "The Ripper" and "Pretty Handsome Awkward", as well as "Liar Liar (Burin in Hell)" are reminiscent of their earlier material with Quinn's hard pounding riffs and Bert's trademark singing and screaming vocals. Though In Love and Death had it's fair share of ballads such as "Hard to say", this album had quite a few more. Songs like "Find a way" and "Smother me" were soft and very untypical of what you would expect to hear from The Used, but they are beautifully written and shows a different side to Bert's singing voice. "The Bird and the Worm", "Hospital", and "Wake the dead" were very powerful numbers and had very catchy choruses, these 3 tracks in my opinion being the best on the album. "Wake the dead" was all over the place musically, blasting out a harcore chorus then going into one verse where a female sings in an opera like voice and the music is softer, eerily sounding very similar to Pink Floyd's "Great gig in the sky" off their album Dark side of the Moon. "Paralyzed" and "With me tonight" were also a little untypical of The Used, having catchy, jazz like riffs and patterns in the verse but then changing into a heavy chorus in tradional Used fashion. "Earthquake" was also a love ballad, reminding me of The Police's "Every breath you take" with the similar sounding palm muted riffs. While recording the album there were many songs that The Used wrote and some will be released on EPs soon, which I am looking forward to hear.

Lyically the album was pretty intersting. "The Bird And The Worm" was very deep and dark, being about avoiding the unavoidable. "Hospital" and "Liar Liar" were also deep and interesting, the 2 songs most dealing with the title of the album. "Liar Liar" was also very funny lyrically, containing the popular children's rhyme as well as Bert's own twist to it at the end. "Smother me", "Earthquake", and "Find a way" were all beautifully wirtten love songs and Bert shows a side of himself not seen in the other albums. His vocal range was supurb on all the songs, not screaming when there was no need for it but also him belting it out when he needs to. However, I do miss the constant tranistion of the screaming and singing of Bert from the old days.

I really enjoyed this album. It's different form The Used' other stuff, but if you can appreciate the diversity of the album then it's a pretty good buy. Though their 1st album is my favorite, they made a whole new style on this album further expanding their musical abilities and now it seems like The Used could paly anything if they wanted.

FIFTH_PERIOD
    When I bought Lies for the Liars I thought that it was a damn good album, so I decided to go out and by their first album also and I just ****ing loved it, I still do. I prefer their old stuff, I donno why :S
    martyrdood
    I like the used. Quinns guitars are guenius, berts lyrics are beautiful but still harsh and heavy, Jepha knows how to play bass, and the drums are great too. This stuff isn't really as good as their first album and In Love and Death tho, but it is still listenable when it comes to the used =] some of the synth effects are rather unecessary... and i do slightly agree with the "Fake" comment made, as their style is starting to change, it's not like them in a way to make an album like this. But i still think the used are one of the best bands out there, and nothing will change my opinion on that =D