Shallow Believer review by The Used

• Released: Feb 19, 2008
The Used: Shallow Believer

After the release of the satisfactory album "Lies For The Liars", The Used are back! Doing the type of music that the fans know and love. The album sounds brilliant with the music sounding more like "In Love And Death" with the lyrics better than they were ever before. It's almost as if "Lies For The Liars" was a gap album for the climax of this EP masterpiece. Quinn's guitaring has improved a lot for this record. He's really stepped up and this is seen in songs like "Slit Your Own Throat" and "The Back Of Your Mouth."

The EP consists of 10 songs of utter brilliance for singer/songwriter Bert McKracken. A fair proportion of the Used's songs focuses on the subject of love, this album is no different. Bert shows this through songs like "Dark Days", "Into My Web" and "Tunnel". Bert's metaphors are genius making him possibly one of the greatest song writers of our time. Bert's metaphors can also be seen through songs such as "Slit Your Own Throat", "Devil Beside You", and "My Pesticide" to explain things that are important to him as an individual and as a member of a band that has been through a lot. Bert McKracken's voice is brilliant on this album. It changes from the softer type of sound we heard on "Lies For The Liars" to the screaming we were originally introduced to with the bands self titled album.

By far this is one of The Used's best creations as a band so far. It proves the band are still strong and know how to write good music. Highlights of this album include "Slit Your Own Throat" and "Devil Beside You". The Used's music is compared to My Chemical Romance's a lot and if anything this album kicks them away from that stereotype. If I were to lose this album or if it were stolen I'd head straight to the shop and get another copy becaue at least another person gets to hear the genius of this album.

ChemyVamp
    lol omg great you are reviewing this album like OMG IT'S A NEW ONE when all the tracks were already recorded like 1-4-6 years before this... idk i like it
    mr.co
    this band is my all time favorite emo band...and i hope that you continue the peoples touch our hearth through music keep up the good work bert and the used...god bless...i wish that i see you in personal..
    The Spoon
    Lies for the Liars pretty much sucked. I just checked out this one, and this is a lot better.
    kbabz22
    Although All Of The Songs For This EP Were Recorded Seperatly They Still Manage To Flow In An Album Form...