The Used review by The Used

• Released: Jun 25, 2002
The Used: The Used

The used's self titled debut album is one of the best sounding albums I've heard in a long time. The guitars are exceptional on this album, songs like "the Taste of ink", burried myself alive, and on my own show the guitarist real strengths. The drumming on "Blue and Yellow" makes you want to go jump on a drumkit, and the bass on almost every song sounds beautiful. Berts voice shows that you can still scream in a song and have it connect with people that necessarily wouldn't like this type of music.

Bert really goes all out on his writing skills. In the song "Blue and yellow", bert writes, "Should've done something but I've done enough by the way your hands were shaking rather waste some time with you," which is about his relationship with the guitarist. Another excellent track in which bert is poetic is "On my own". This is definately the ballad of the record and is a timeless classic. Lyrics like, "Without it all I'm choking on nothing It's clear in my head and I'm screaming for something Knowing nothing is better then knowing it all" make you want to grab your lighter and let it burn until berts lyrics slowly drift off.

Overall this is the best record I've heard in years. The band goes from hard screaming songs like "A box full of sharp objects" and "Maybe memories" to the poetic songs like "blue and yellow" and "On my own". This cd is one of my most played, and I believe everyone should go out and buy this amazing cd.