The Used Review

9.5
 9.7
 9.2
The Used Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 25, 2003

Sound: The sound of this band is very unique. The guitar, for the most part, is simple but amazing. It meshes perfectly with McKracken's vocals. From screaming tracks like "A Box Full Of Sharp Objects" to the soft, acoustic track "On My Own" this band can do just about anything. // 10

Lyrics: The writing for these songs is done extremely well. Anyone can sit down and listen to it, but if you get into the meanings the songs are awesome. Everyone can relate to these songs at some point or another. The lyrics also fit well with the music. McKracken is also a stellar vocalist. He screams, he sings, he does it all, and he does it just as well or better than most bands out there. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a very good album, and I must say one of my all time favorites equal only to Finch's 'What it is to Burn'. The best songs on the album in my opinion are "Bulimic", "Maybe Memories", and "Pieces Mended". I love everything about this album, the lyrics, the guitar, the vocals, it is just a great album. If I lost it I would run out to get another one immediately. If you haven't bought it already, check out the re-release titled 'Maybe Memories', which includes unreleased tracks and music video's. Definitely worth it. // 10

The Used Reviewed by: Blinkman5, on july 09, 2007

Sound: Of all the albums The Used have made, this is my favourite. Everytime I listen to their music or watch one of their music videos I ask myself, 'How do they do it, how can they be so good?" Their sound is so amazing. I have never really liked screaming music until I heard this band. I love the way they play their melodic/harmonic music and and then bust out amazing screaming and hard music. I quote Craig Kilborne (host of the late show). "A promising group with the charming habit of interrupting tuneful passages with temper tantrums." // 10

Lyrics: Overall, in one word to describe the lyrics: amazing, Outstanding, Incredible, Deep, Meaningfull. I love the lyrics and how hard it is to unlock the meaning of the lyrics. I think the complience of the lyrics with the music is perfect, though sometimes the lyrics may leap over to other bars and leap over the same voice whilst recorded, it all sounds great. The singers skills are unlimited. he sings so well, both live and recorded, and he tries so hard to successfully deliver a powerful grudged scream, and he delivers it perfectly making him very easy to listen to. I especially love his abillity to sing aloud and roughen his voice. The backup singing is also done greatly adding a high, soft tone to Bert McCrackens low, rough voice. // 9

Overall Impression: I believe that, compered to other artists, this particular band would be very high in the list. Perhaps the most impressive are "The Bird And The Worm" and "Taste Of Ink," these particular songs also being my favourite on the albums (though I enjoy listening to all their songs on the album). I love everything about the album, the listing, the lyrics, the style, the music, the singing, and pretty much anything everything. There is nothing that I hate about this album. If it were stole or lost, I would have no choice but to hurry and by another! // 10

The Used Reviewed by: elementwood89, on august 27, 2004

Sound: Ingenious and completely original. Four extremely talented musicians in one band bring a completely different style of music to us. Not different in a bad way, but in a good way. The CD's first couple of tracks are hardcore and loud with a fast tempo. Maybe Memories, The Taste of Ink, Bulimic, and Say Days ago, they are a bit in your face, but are always awesome. Great music to get amped. As the CD moves on we get to Poetic Tragedy, Buried Myself Alive, and Blue And Yellow. These songs are awesome, they are still inspirational and powerful, but at the same time slower and relaxing. Then we get to On My Own and Greener with the Scenery which are acoustic based songs with a sweet sound. My personal favorites are Noise and Kisses, On My Own, and Blue and Yellow. On a scale of 1-5, I say 10. // 10

Lyrics: Unlike most bands, they don't make all songs say the same thing. Each song expresses different opinions and in a way tells you about their past lives. Berts voice really shows the emotion and you completely feel what they're singing about. Not to mention they are not singing about crap like suicide, and depression. They keep things light and the most hardcore song is probably Say Days Ago which sings about Berts use of Crystal Meth before he joined the band. Warning however, they drop the F-Bomb in The Taste of Ink and one other song. // 10

Overall Impression: Excellent CD, definatly worth buying. The Used is my idea of what a true band is, they do all of their own writing, playing, and performing. They don't rely on computer generated effects and are the real thing. This CD put The Used as my favorite band and thats great considering all the types of music I listen to (Coldplay to Guns N' Roses, O.A.R to the Darkness.) Go buy this CD! // 10

The Used Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 22, 2003

Overall Impression: This is the best CD I've heard since Nirvana's "Nevermind". The Used is one of the most original bands out there, with catchy songs that everyone can relate to at one point or another. It's one of those CD's you can put on and relax to without having to skip one track because of a bad song. They're all great. // 10

The Used Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 30, 2004

Sound: Well first off I would just like to say that the used is my favorite band. The sound is amazing just like everything else about this album. Quinn Allman is an awesome guitar player. He plays simple yet it is so powerfull. Jeph is a talented bass player and he shows it. On "Say Days Ago" Jeph just sucks you in. Branden is the drummer. He has been compared with Travis Barker from Blink 182/Boxcar Racer, Hes not as good as travis but he is sure up there. And last Bert McCraken is unbeliabale his voice is so amazing he can go from screaming one word and quietly singing it the next word. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are so amazing. "Blue And Yellow" is one of my favorite songs.It jsut shows how much the band cares for eachother. "A Box Full Of Sharp Objects" is awesome! there arnt a lot of different words but just those few words are enough. "Buried My Self Alive" anybody can relate to. and "On My Own" is so good Bert is so talented his voice is just like wow! His voice is also like Brandon Boyds from Incubus it is just so awesome. I love it when he screams he pukes and you can tell he'd do anything just to make the crowd happy on stage. // 10

Overall Impression: Deffinetly go and buy this album! If you like Blindside/Nirvana/Story Of The Year deffinetly this is for you! The Used arn't like many bands and thats why I like them so much. They are so original. If my CD would happen to get stolen or lost. I would go buy 2 more just incase that would happen again. Actully mine is a little cracked but its still playable. The Used have been my favorite since my friend showed me one of their music videos "A Box Full Of Sharp Objects" its a funny video. I have been listenin to their debut album for about two years and they finally came out with "Maybe Memories" which has music videos and storys of each of the band members, also a few new tracks! They are putting out a new CD August or September '04. The new album will have a lot of piano performed by Bert but trust it wont be mellow it has alot of good songd on it. I'm excited for Projekt Revolution Tour. It's The Used, Linkin Park, Less Than Jake and Snoop Dogg not sure why hes in there but yeah whatever. But this CD is worth more then tis priced at Best Buy deffinetly pick one of these days. // 10

The Used Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 31, 2005

Sound: The band has the coolest vibe ever. I love the verse guitar part in "Box Of Sharp Objects" as well as all of the rest of every song on this CD (not to take away anything from any of their other CDs). I wish I could be in this band, I love these guys (not like that). I want to play guitar on one of their songs so bad. Back to the sound, it is amazing. // 10

Lyrics: Let's start this off by talking about Bert's scream, it is amazing and he can use it to express strong feelings, like in "Poetic Tragedy" and "On My Own." He can also use it for fun, such as in "Choke Me." The words are so amazing, lyrically he is my favorite of all time. // 10

Overall Impression: Amazing, I love this band so much! Every song on all three of their CDs is almost flawless. My favorite CD! // 10

The Used Reviewed by: shugo449, on march 05, 2007

Sound: On The Used's debut CD, they come out strong and amazing. The musicianship (guitars and bass specifically) is average, but the drumming and vocals are amazing. Singer Bert McCracken is amazing. He can sing in a poppy voice, a slow emotion filled drawl, or scream his balls off. The best songs on here are"A Box Full of Sharp Objects", "Maybe Memories", "The Taste Of Ink", "Poetic Tragedy", and "Blue and Yellow". All of these show the biggest diversities in their catalog. // 9

Lyrics: Bert McCracken's lyrics touch on many subjects including suicide, courage, and lots of love and lost love. Half the time though, you can't tell what he's saying because he screams so hard and crazy. Overall, they have good messages and leave you with something to ponder. // 8

Overall Impression: The first disk from the Used is their most intense and raw. It sounds like someone took Fall Out Boy, Atreyu, and Jack Johnson in a blender, and out came a poppy, screaming, acoustic filled mess of wonderfulness. The Used are knwn for their weirdness, considering that Bert Screams so hard he pukes, Quin is Bisexual, and the bass player is covered with tatoos and peircings everywhere, including, the spot. But, even more so they should be known for their amzingly diverse music. Go buy this. // 10

The Used Reviewed by: someperson, on june 22, 2007

Sound: The Used has always sounded good, and they even started as a good band. Some songs are very well put together, such as The Taste Of Ink, Buried Myself Alive, Noise And Kisses, and some, well, not so good, such as Sad Days Ago. There is a bonus track at the end the song Pieces Mended, and unlike most bands, just before that, they have a little recording of a stripper coming for Bert's birthday. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty good, even though some don't make too much sense. Overall, the lyrics are great and meaningful. The lyrics go very well with the music, but some songs, you can't hear the lyrics too well because the vocals have a wierd sound. Bert is a great singer by my opinion, but in some songs, he's not so great. // 9

Overall Impression: This CD is good along with the other cds by The Used. The best songs from this album are The Taste Of Ink, Buried Myself Alive, A Box Full Of Sharp Objects, and Noise And Kisses. I love that The Used's first CD was really good, with songs that I'll never get tired of. I don't like that some songs are just plain annoying. Also, it looks like a burned CD due to the lack of artwork on the actually CD. It's silver, with The Used in gray with some more gray designs. If I ever lost or if it was stolen, I would definately buy it again. It was a great CD to have. // 9

The Used Reviewed by: Moonie, on july 22, 2003

Overall Impression: Wow.....that's the only word to describe this amazing band's debut CD. The Used are a new breed of rock that has more spunk to it than anything I've ever heard before. Singer, Bert McKracken, can hit the high notes like nobody's business and then turn around and scream until he pukes. The album starts off with the track "Maybe Memories." This song is mostly screaming but takes light breaks for Bert to work his magic. This is one of the best songs on the album in my opinion. Other high points include their two singles, "The Taste of Ink" and "Say Days Ago." The rest of the album includes a wide variety of songs that are nothing but amazing. "Poetic Tragedy"(my favorite), "A Box Full Of Sharp Objects", "Noise and Kisses", and "Blue and Yellow" come around the middle of the CD and add to the buildup. Every time I listen to these tracks I have to sit down and listen to them more carefully. Finally, the band shows us their softer side with the acoustic song, "On My Own." This song will give goosebumps to even the hardest of rockers. It is the perfect song to finish out the CD. I would reccomend this album to anyone. If you know the Used, you probably love them. If you're looking for more bands like them, look for the CD's, 'Tell All Your Friends' by Taking Back Sunday, 'Full Collapse' by Thursday, and 'What It Is To Burn' by Finch. // 10

The Used Reviewed by: Brandnewlow, on february 02, 2004

Sound: The used's self titled debut album is one of the best sounding albums I've heard in a long time. The guitars are exceptional on this album, songs like "the Taste of ink", burried myself alive, and on my own show the guitarist real strengths. The drumming on "Blue and Yellow" makes you want to go jump on a drumkit, and the bass on almost every song sounds beautiful. Berts voice shows that you can still scream in a song and have it connect with people that necessarily wouldn't like this type of music. // 10

Lyrics: Bert really goes all out on his writing skills. In the song "Blue and yellow", bert writes, "Should've done something but I've done enough by the way your hands were shaking rather waste some time with you," which is about his relationship with the guitarist. Another excellent track in which bert is poetic is "On my own". This is definately the ballad of the record and is a timeless classic. Lyrics like, "Without it all I'm choking on nothing It's clear in my head and I'm screaming for something Knowing nothing is better then knowing it all" make you want to grab your lighter and let it burn until berts lyrics slowly drift off. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is the best record I've heard in years. The band goes from hard screaming songs like "A box full of sharp objects" and "Maybe memories" to the poetic songs like "blue and yellow" and "On my own". This cd is one of my most played, and I believe everyone should go out and buy this amazing cd. // 10

The Used Reviewed by: dabonehead182, on june 23, 2004

Sound: The Used are a great band. The sound is sometimes in your face awesome or poetic. Blue and Yellow sounded so good. On my own is an awesome acoustic track. Branden Steineckert is a good guitarist. The drums and bass also add a good mix to the sound // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are either a hit or miss. A lot of them are hits though. Bert Mccracken screams so good. From the scream on the first track Maybe Memmories to the hidden song on the last track he sounds so crazy. The best part is the scream in a box full of sharp objects. // 8

Overall Impression: The Used first albulm is excellent. Bert Mccracken is so frickin awesome. I love the way he screams. The band sounds great on this albulm. If it was stolen i'd definitely buy it again. The top 5 tracks are: Maybe Memmories,Buried Myself Alive,The Taste of Ink, Blue and Yellow, and On My Own. This one bad ass cd. Buy it. Hope to see them at Project Revoulution. // 10

The Used Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 11, 2005

Sound: For the first album of the band, these guys have suceeded in going over the top. Everyone in the band has contributed all they have into the music which forms some pretty amazing sounds. You can't focus on anything else while listening to this album, the music glues you to it, the sound is so exciting and raw, it's hard to ignore. // 10

Lyrics: If the sound's not good enough, the lyrics are. No matter how much you listen to it, it never gets old. Bert McCraken (vocals) wrote the lyrics about the band and their lives but really, anyone can relate to them. They go deeper than the music and are really incredible. I love the screaming Bert does, it's not fake or anything, it's the real deal. They were very well done, and Bert's voice goes perfectly with the band's style. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I'd have to say these guys are the best band alive. This album's very addicting and recommend it to everyone. From screeching vocals and amazing power chords (Maybe Memories) to great acoustics and slow songs (On My Own) it's all here in one place. No songs are better than the other, they are all really impressive. // 10

The Used Reviewed by: randomkiller, on april 06, 2006

Sound: Amazing. Every single track. Within the first 8 and a half months of owning this CD, I havent let anyone touch it. Now I do, but thats a different story. Evryone is amazing. Quinn Allman is an amazing guitarist, more shown live on songs from In Love And Death (again a different story). The Used is not like any other band. You can't say it's just another band. They have amazing potential, and an even better sound. They also went through a lot of hard times (see Maybe Memories CD/DVD) to get this album out, and just to get anywhere, and they really sound like they've been clean and doing music before birth. // 10

Lyrics: Bert has an awesome voice. In Blue And Yellow, his voice sounds like a harmonic. On Maybe Memories he sounds like a completely different person. The lyrics are amazing. In all the songs, you get a certain feeling after listening to them. Like a "Wow, these lyrics are amazing" kind of feeling. Lyricly, Taste Of Ink is the best song in my opinoin. But you have to listen to the lyrics, if you look them up, you might not get it, but if you listen to them and figure them out, you get it more. I can't express how good the lyrics and vocals are. // 10

Overall Impression: The first time I listened to this CD, The Used was immiedietly my favorite band. Nothing on the album is bad. Everything is amazing, perfected, and made better after that. My favoritre songs on the album are Maybe Memories, Taste Of Ink, Choke Me and Buried Myself Alive. I had to stop, thinking about it, every single song on the album is my favorite. I can't stop listening to them. They are amazing. Quinn is amazing, Jeph is crazy. Branden is the best drummer ever. Bert's voice is the best voice ever. The Used is the perfect band for anyone that likes any rock genre. Hardcore to metal to screamo. anyone can and will like them. Go get this CD now, it's the best one out there. // 10

The Used Reviewed by: jeremytabs, on july 20, 2007

Sound: Of all the albums The Used have made, this is my favourite. Everytime I listen to their music or watch one of their music videos I ask myself, 'How do they do it, how can they be so good?" Their sound is so amazing. I have never really liked screaming music until I heard this band. I love the way they play their melodic/harmonic music and and then bust out amazing screaming and hard music. I quote Craig Kilborne ( host of the late show), "A promising group with the charming habit of interrupting tuneful passages with temper tantrums." // 9

Lyrics: Overall, in one word to describe the lyrics: amazing, outstanding, incredible, deep, meaningfull. I love the lyrics and how hard it is to unlock the meaning of the lyrics. I think the complience of the lyrics with the music is perfect, though sometimes the lyrics may leap over to other bars and leap over the same voice whilst recorded, it all sounds great. The singers skills are unlimited. he sings so well, both live and recorded, and he tries so hard to successfully deliver a powerful grudged scream, and he delivers it perfectly making him very easy to listen to. I especially love his abillity to sing aloud and roughen his voice. The backup singing is also done greatly adding a high, soft tone to Bert McCrackens low, rough voice. // 9

Overall Impression: I believe that, compered to other artists, this particular band would be very high in the list. Perhaps the most impressive are "The Bird And The Worm" and "Taste Of Ink," these particular songs also being my favourite on the albums (though I enjoy listening to all their songs on the album). I love everything about the album, the listing, the lyrics, the style, the music, the singing, and pretty much anything everything. There is nothing that I hate about this album. If it were stole or lost, I would have no choice but to hurry and by another! // 9

Comments