What Did You Expect From The Vaccines? review by The Vaccines

• Released: Mar 14, 2011
  • Reviewer's score: 7 Good
The Vaccines: What Did You Expect From The Vaccines?

This is the guitar band for all Indie fans. Lately people have been criticizing (most notably Alex Turner of the Arctic Monkeys) that their are no guitar bands around making music but now there are The Vaccines. The four piece from the UK have made a record that has not been made since Interpol's "Turn On The Bright Lights". The similarities these records have are not just that they both have long titles but that the records were game changers. Interpol showed that you can make mellow music and write a brilliant rock record and The Vaccines have proved that even with Dubstep, Rap and Dance music rising in the charts that people still have a place in their record collection for guitar bands. The band was formed in July 2010 and within six months of the band being together they were signed to a label and had a lead single released. The band originally wanted no guitars in their lineup but after some lineup changes the band had two guitarists. The songs don't go on for that long the opening track "Wreckin' Bar (Ra Ra Ra)" only goes on for 86 seconds but it still sounds very complete and well made. Most of the songs were half complete before the band entered the studio but they finished them all after they completed the album.

The lyrics are simple the choruses for some songs are just the same line repeated over and over or are just rhyming lines for example in the track "Post Break Up Sex" ("Post break up sex, it helps you forget your ex, what did you expect from post break up sex"). Overall the lyrics aren't deep and aren't really about really really big things but just simple stories which fits the raw simple guitar making it a simple combination that works out for the better.

My overall impression is that I have reviewed a good record. I enjoyed this and found it to be an Indie record to remember and to listen to for years to come. The songs may be short but their complete and well produced. The bands simplicity works out for them as well just watch their performance on Later With Jool's Holland they gave a great performance and it didn't sound like the band needed anymore help on stage. Stand out tracks include "Wreckin' Bar (Ra Ra Ra)", "If You Wanna" and "Post Break Up Sex" and a couple of others that I can't remember the names of. So if you are borded of your music go to your local music store or iTunes and buy this record I really recommend it. Its something all Indie Music fans have been waiting for, for a few years now.

Johncamus
    I like it, taking us back to the indie that was fast and fun a few years ago
    spitonastranger
    Anthony1991 wrote: By "good record" you mean the thing that NME is telling everyone to listen to? That, then, defines bad music
    Maybe some people listen to it because they like it you arrogant wanker. Pretty sure muse have been on the cover of NME a few times so doesn't look like your as much of an individual as you thought I don't mind the single they have but they're a tad derivative for my liking.
    AndreDude
    comparing this to turn on the bright lights is just stupid in my opinion.
    cp0uch
    they o-k, no interpol though. the uk has a love affair with hype.
    EpiExplorer
    The truth, ladies and gentlemen.
    Anthony1991
    bobqjones
    Loki_37
    robclark4 wrote: may I write a review of this review?
    Yes please do. They're really just like every other band in this cluttered genre...
    noisewall11
    cp0uch wrote: they o-k, no interpol though. the uk has a love affair with hype.
    speaking of them, i'm pretty sure someone recently told me this is biggest band in the uk at this time. personally, i don't get why that is..
    hollowsoul666
    hollowsoul666
    hollowsoul666 wrote: bobqjones : Jesus man, you can't write for crap. Edit this shit and punctuate properly. A few typos is one thing but this is awful. +1
    hazuing
    I think that the biggest pitfall of this album is the hype it recieved. While it is a great album, and one I'm glad to have in my collection, hype almost always causes disappointment. Comparing this band to Interpol was stupid. In my opinion, there's a more Ramones sound to this album, and you should have picked up on it. If you don't know at least a bit about music (which you don't or you would have made the Ramones connection) you shouldn't be reviewing albums.