Hats Off To The Buskers review by The View

• Released: Jan 22, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 5.7 Decent
The View: Hats Off To The Buskers

Ok, it's not that the music is bad or the band is untalented, it's that it's the same thing I've heard a million times. It's not the same as in "Oh Television and Interpol, they sound the same" kind of vague similarity, it's exactly the same as every Libertines/Dirty Pretty Things clone (of which DPT are a clone of themselves as the Libertines) with their oh-so-cool but oh-so-done-a-million-times jingly jangly guitars. I really can't go into much more detail but your better off relabeling Up The Bracket to Hats Off To The Buskers.

Lyrics aren't too bad, but they aren't exactly a redeeming feature. Such gems as "I've had the same jeans on for 4 days now, gonna go to a disco, in the middle of the town" aren't actually that inspired or inspiring. His voice is barely more than a mumble I may add. I'll be generous or you'll think I'm biased (which I am most certainly not).

This album is OK. It's not bad, it's not good. It's OK. A little more thought put into the sound would have been nice, because it doesn't catch your attention or inspire anything in oneself. Average, the best word to describe. No, I probably wouldn't buy this album let alone buy it again. I wouldn't advise anyone else too either; if you want a true British post-punk album, by the Libs "Up The Bracket" because that is brilliant.

screwup30
    I would have to disagree with MEmmett. I believe this is a great album, not a classic, far from it. But still a great record. And although I feel the comparison between The View and the Libertines is true, I think that is no reason not to like the cd, I mean there are plenty of bands who sound like each other. Anyway, in my opinion its another brilliant british indie recored to start of the new year.
    McLellan
    This album is class, im assuming the reviewer isnt from Scotland as he says his voice is like a mumble, its called an accent. Most english people i know cant understand what Kyle(Lead Singer) is saying. The lyrics arent absolutely amazing but out of all their songs the reviewer decided to quote a line out of, what i personally think, is they're worst song. The Don's lyrics are brilliant, Waste Little Dj's chorus is probably the most original chorus for years and Face For The Radio is amazing. The most overplayed thing with the band is the fact that everyone constantly compares them to the Libertines. They arent the first band to sound like someone else and people usually just say that as they toured with Pete Doherty. I personally dont see the similarity with The View and The Libertines. I think the reviewer of this obviously doesnt like the band, maybe because they're scottish, maybe because he thinks they are like the Libertines but the point is this review is shockingly bad. This album is an amazing piece of music, yes some lyrics might not be amazing but the rawness and barely produced quality of the album makes the songs go down excellently. The youthfulness and up beat spirit of the songs are unbeleiveable. The View - Hats Off To The Buskers 10/10