Hats Off To The Buskers review by The View

• Released: Jan 22, 2007
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
The View: Hats Off To The Buskers

This band, although not having an entirely new sound that seems to be a mixture of Oasis, the kooks and Led Zepplin, they have a fresh and lively sound about them. They are ultimately british and define the meaning of being scotish really. No really pumping solos, but they've got some pretty neat guitar work up their sleeves.

The lyrics aren't exactly startling with quite a lot of repetition, but there is an earnestness that is easy to relate to within them. No masterpieces on this front, although the lyrics aren't bad. their lead singer actually has a great voice once you get used to it that seems to suit the lyrics perfectly. At a few points they seem as if they're trying to be a bit Punky, and this tends to let them down as they don't suit that style of music at all, but still ok overall.

Overall, this is a decent album. There's a few songs that let it down, but this is made up by the popular chart hit Same Jeans, Street lights, and the awe inspiring Superstar tradesman (which in my opinion is the best song of 2007 so far). Not many good albums have been released in the last few months, but this one is a welcome bit of sunshine in the skies of new bands.

Deek_13
    TheWorks wrote: I'm from Edinburgh and even I sometimes have no clue what he's saying. Especially in the chorus for Wasted Little Dj's. At first I thought it was pig latin
    Thats because it IS in pig latin...
    armitage_cake
    I think their Libertines sound isn't as relevant as (IMO) the Libertines were so much better. This kind of lad rock will always be popular though.
    McLellan
    Their guitarist has some great solos up his sleeve and this is highlighted on the track 'face for the radio'.
    I think your review is alright but that bit is just really bad for the fact that the lead guitar (Pete) plays the solos on every song except 'Face For The Radio', (Kyle) the ryhtym guitar actually plays that one
    ChordMonger
    "Oh Television and Interpol, they sound the same" kind of vague similarity
    HEY MEmmett, i totally agree with what you said about The View, but do you listen to Television or Interpol?? They dont sound the same by ANY STRETCH OF IMAGINATION. besides which, comparing the two is a pretty harsh knock on Television, who are absolute geniuses.
    Bishop_16
    the album is immense. bluemoon05 or whatever said it was let down by songs like 'dance into the night' and 'skag trendy'. are you having a laugh? they are great songs. people have also mentioned it sounding like the libertines, i agree in some places, but are bands not allowed to have influences? would you ever criticise oasis for using the tune of 'id like to teach the world to sing' in their song 'shakermaker'? the album is awesome!
    Eladamri
    I am going to go with MEmmett as well. And Kyle stole a guitar lead from me when we were on the same college course! I never saw him after that, not until The View hit it.
    rageagainst
    Just an average indie band to be honest, dont know what all the fuss is about. The singer pisses me off, he sounds like a little yapping dog. To be fair though, they do make some catchy tunes, even if they are annoying. 'Same Jeans' is basically a rip off of Brimful of Asha by Cornershop and because of that I lose respect for them. The lyrics for that song suck also.. "I've had the same jeans on for four days now I'm gonna go to a disco in the middle of the town Everybody's dressing up I'm dressing down" Who really cares? Am I missing some big metaphorical meaning behind them or something? The album is a strong effort all round though, theres not really a lot of filler. 6/10