Highly Evolved review by The Vines

• Released: Jun 15, 2002
The Vines: Highly Evolved

The Vines were recommended to me from a friend. I did not know what to expect, and what I found was an under-rated rock band with a lot to offer. Their sound is a cross between The Beatles and more modern rock, which gives this album a very unique sound. Each song is quite different, ranging from the more rock sound of tracks such as Outtathaway to the exquisite simplicity of Mary-Jane and Homesick. The lead singer has a nice, honest voice, but his tone only comes through on slower tracks.

The lyrics are not the best I have heard but they don't let the songs down by being awful. They are slighty strange at times but this aspect simply reinforces the uniquness of sound.

The best songs are probably the slower ones such as Country Yard, Mary-Jane and Homesick. I like the fact that this album is not afraid to be different from most rock bands and just resorting to a lot of loud guitar and drums. The slightly psychedelic element that runs throughout is a welcome change modern music, recalling bands from the sixties and seventies while maintaining a contempary tone. If I lost this CD I would be upset but probably wouldn't bother buying it again, as it is not my favourite type of music.Having said this, I would consider buying their new album which is said to be better.