Vision Valley review by The Vines

• Released: Apr 4, 2006
The Vines: Vision Valley

This is probably one of the best from the Vines. There are songs that are edgy and songs that are also mellow. It's really nice how it goes so well together, and the songs are really recorded well. As many probably know, The Vines went on a little break and lost their bassist. I had a feeling that they weren't going to come back out with an album, but fortunately they did. Some slower acoustic songs use instruments such as cellos, violins, and all kinds of different things. Its a nice spin on the songs. Also, the song Take Me Back really stuck out. Its like a country-rock thing. Well, it just sounds like it at first. I guess you'd have to listen to it to get an idea. It is a very good song, though. Personally, I think I would have picked different singles from this album, but then again I couldn't really chose. The singles out now are pretty good I guess.

The lyrics are amazing, I think. Craig Nicholls is a good writer because of his unorthodox writing style. They're really good, and they grow on you the more you listen to the actual words, which go along with the music very well. I heard many people say that the singer does not know how to sing well, but I tend to disagree. No, he is not the world's best singer in any means, but he gets the job now. A very passionate voice and he can really scream when he needs to.

Since most new-ish bands out now tend to be emo, or some trendy metal, I think this is a good break for anyone looking for something far from the ordinary. The songs that stand out for me the most are probably Nothin's Comin, Vision Valley, Gross Out, Take Me Back, Fuk Yeh, Dope Train, and Space Ship. These are probably my favorite songs on the album, although the rest is pretty good too. There isn't a song that I don't listen to it. Thats what I love about this CD. Besides its energy and dynamic songs, I like the fact that I can listen straight through it without skipping any songs. What I hate about this album is its length. Its pretty short, the songs are all pretty short except the finale, Spaceship. But, it doesn't bother me that much, as I prefer all great songs instead of a long album with some bad songs. If it were lost or stolen, I'd probably try and get a copy somewhere else of course. This CD is a very good one, and I recommend it to anyone who likes rock.

Kickit
    Not a good Vines album, too short and its very dull, but some songs impress me while others don't
    can_i_say
    if u think ure a vines fan u will kno wot has happend n love how they still put together this album
    SlashNX
    IM a vines fan... have high hopes for this album... does sound a lil tooo predictable from wat ive herd, but still Ill buy it none-the-less! Highly Evolved is probably still the best out of the three!
    Goon
    I haven't had a real good listen to the album yet but the songs are too short and I felt they could have just taken their songs a bit furthur if you get me here... Nothing beats Highly Evolved yet.
    d_brow
    its not predictable at all.....and no the songs arent to short.Its an amazing album and will stay in my cd player for a while just like highly evolved
    flemflames
    Hmmm good album... predictable, but that is the show-biz part of it all -> commercialization
    xconaxm44
    Dope Train is unreal. Quality album...just wish they'd go off onto weird solos like the previous album.
    mrFood
    I like this album, but like xconaxm14 said, I wish the songs would exploded into the melodic solo interlude things. They have more potential as longer songs.
    VoodooChild15
    The fact that it sounds like everything else they've done doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'm a fan of them because I like that sound. I don't need them to be constantly pushing boundaries, just to churn out tunes that I like to listen to. As always, the mellow stuff is my favorite. Spaceship and Vision Valley are at the top of the heap. I think that Craig is one of the best singers around. Not a whole lot of other people make such amazing use of harmony.
    GuitarFreak1969
    I love all of the songs. It's kind of a mix between Highly Evolved and Winning Days, with a bit of a new sound to it. The lyrics are much more understandable and amazing. The album was put together well. I think the break they had was good for them because they eneded up with an excellent album. I memorized it within an hour and love it. It's not mediocre at all and Craig's voice sounds a lot more clear. I love the guitar solo in Spaceship, beautiful. My twin is even liking the album, and she pretty much hates The Vines (I don't know why...). I give them a ten on this one. Pure brilliance, like every album Mr. Nicholls creates.
    take take take
    As long as they don't stray to far from "Winning Days", I'll be happy with the result of the new album, still have to pick it up
    Shermy
    Brilliant Album I've been a vines fan since i heard their e.p. in 2001, there music has slowly evolved and in this album i saw a bit of a combination of their first two albums witht the predictable clean/garage/grunge sound that they have with most of their singles but also the psycaedelic ones that i personally love. I'm still dissapointed that there will be no live performances anytime soon. Oh well!