Vision Valley review by The Vines

• Released: Apr 4, 2006
The Vines: Vision Valley

The Vines have come along way from their in-your-face sound in Highly Evolved to their mellow harmonies in Winning Days. After the incidents in 2004 where singer Nicholls was diagnosed with AS, and bassist, Matthews walking off stage, they're back. They're sound has definitely change heading towards a more mature direction. The album rips through with a kick ass concoction of loud guitar riffs, harmonic acoustic, trippy solos, soothing strings, and awesome vocals.

He reflects on recent events he and his bands mates have encountered. With the opening line 'I am a Vine, all twisted and frayed', Nicholls takes us on a lyrical journey through his head. It's certainly something you don't want to miss.

01. Anysound - opening song comes out with the brilliant line, "I am a Vine, all twisted and frayed.' Just perfect to get you ready for the ready for what's to come. 02. Nothing's Comin' - great rock song with a lot of tension build up and a great fucking guitar solo. 03. Candy Daze - a sweet little number leaving you thirsty for more.. and again, another great guitar piece. 04. Vision Valley - one of my favorite tracks on the album. First time they experimented with strings, and it sounds great. A great little ballad that has a different effect of every listener. With The acoustic guitars, strings and the harmonic signing, the song truly pulls through. 05. Don't Listen To The Radio - great song if you haven't over heard it already. With an ironic twist, this was their first single they choose to put out onto the airwaves. Again, great guitar number. 06. Gross Out - another great song if you haven't over heard it. This song will assault you blasting out of the speakers at a 100 mph. being the shortest song on the album; it holds enough energy for the whole thing. There second single being played on radios in both the UK and Australia. 07. Take Me Back - I would absolutely love this song if they didn't put a country vibe to it. The lyrics are amazing, but I'm not a fan of that country sound. 08. Going Gone - an old b-side of theirs, the re-created with strings and acoustic harmonies. A brilliant song that I've loved the first time I've heard it, now reinvented, I love it even more. 09. Fuck Yeh - well, I don't really know what to say about this one, except that it brings out the '60s all over again. Good song. 10. Futuretarded - great song but another one that'd hard to explain. You'll just have to listen for yourself. 11. Dope Train - going back to their roots they pull out a Get Free/Outtathaway/Fuck The World sound with a psychedelic flare. 12. Atmos - a short but trippy song. Takes a second to figure out what Nicholls is trying to get at, but when you get it, you'll love it. 'I really ruley do.' 13. Spaceship - my personal favorite. Nicholls takes you on a 6 min calming ride and leaving you satisfied. Another great song with strings and a great guitar solo. With a 1969 twist, it's a great way to end the album. Overall, this is a great album and should not be passed up. It has something for everyone and will leave you pleased. The guys are back and standing strong.

wibble147
    spaceship is the best vines track yet, yes the songs are too short, but this album had alot to live up 2 after Winning Days. Stil a good album though.
    volta949
    Kickit : Not a good Vines album, too short and its very dull, but some songs impress me while others don't I couldn't agree more with you. This is a very bad Vines album. I was hoping for so much more and its just, lame and boring.
    jasonkan
    too short. falls short of expectations, tho 'take me back' sort of feebly follows the indie-ish hits of 'winning days' and 'homesick' from previous albums, but doesnt stun. this is a dissapointment, lacks the catches of previous explosive tracks like 'outtathaway' and ride.
    kiwitabber
    Very average album. I was expecting big things from these guys but I was incredibly disappointed. There's a few 'alomst gems' like Futuretarded and Don't Listen to the Radio but otherwise NAH!!!