Winning Days review by The Vines

• Released: Mar 23, 2004
The Vines: Winning Days

When I heard the first song, I thought, "wow this is good" as I listened on it got better. The guitar is amazing, although Nicholls is no Yngwie, so don't get mad at him because he cant play 32 notes per second. The styles are grunge, and 60 psycodelia rock. The innovations is nicholls seamless binding of grunge and pyscodelic rock. Great album.

This album starts with Ride, which is like SLTS of Nevermind by Nirvana. The next song, Animal Machine has a catchy, droning riff. TV Pro begins with drums and blasts into a whiny-like verse and "a-whoa ho oh oh" and back into the trippy lyrics with the psycodelia guitar. The all acoustic track Autumn Shade II has the lyrics barely spoken over over a light voice on top of the C-G-E-A appregiated chords. Evil Town has a blaring guitar that slows down for the verse, similar to TV Pro. Winning Days falls about where the middle of a vinyl would fall, where a band would shift its sound. Shes Got Something To Say To Me has the sound similar to a Beatles tune, with the bright chords over and a lightly distorted chorus. Rainfall has an acoustic intro and the qualities of a folk song in the verse, the chorus repeating the intro. Amnesia has a slow tempo drum intro and a single note guitar part. the vocals are barely droned and the verse is followed up with a a lightly sung part "a-ha-ha". sun child is another acoustic song with a country-ish verse. the chorus is a little high, but still a good song. The final track, Fuck The World, is Nicholl's angst of the whole album built up and released, showing his hatrid for technology and pollution, and in the final verse, "fuck the world, don't" shows uncertiany of his angst. The entire album is well rounded. The vocals are very melodic and catchy.

This is a good follow up to their debut album, and my favorite songs were Ride, Autumn Shade II Winning Days and Fuck The World. I love how the album shifts the sound from heavy to soft and acoustic halfway, somewhat like old vinyls. The only thing I don't like about the album is the verse/chorus/verse used throughout the album. If it were stolen/lost I would definitly buy it again. It was definitly worth the 15 bucks I shelled out. By the way, Nirvana fans, many people reffered Craig Nicholls to Kurt Cobain, although some songs sound like Nirvana, it is also equal parts Beatles, Stooges, and Kinks. It is a great, well-rounded album.