Winning Days review by The Vines

• Released: Mar 23, 2004
The Vines: Winning Days

The guitar sound is very varied, the clean tone is tough, yet sprigy and beautiful. Elsewhere this is distortion to the max. Using a metal zone with a Stratocaster achieves a unique tone and is one of the many tricks up The Vines sleeves. The simpleness of the guitar work never really comes across, simply because they're always playing something interseting and colourful. The drums are solid and have occasional flashes of brilliance and patrick matthews continues to be a fantastic bassist. Always doing what's required, be it simple root notes or fantastic counter melodies. The style of the album is garage rock, psychedelia and quiet loud Pixies segments. Clasic Vines.

Craigs singing goes from crazed punk scream to sunshine poet in the blink of an eye. Everything is controlled and in it's rightful place. There are places where his singing is beautiful and delicate, and places when it sounds like an angry toddler, which is peculilarly a good thing. The lyrics are always intersting to listen to, Craig manages to namedrop several of his favourite bands. He describes them as poetry which sounds about right.

Although in the same vein as Highly Evolved, this album is a step forward and one that is essential. Definitlely a grower, apart fro the singles, this album just gets better every time I listen to it. I am bias as The Vines are my favourite band in the universe but I still rate this along with all the others. I would buy it again without a second thought. A fantastic record.