Reunion Tour review by The Weakerthans

• Released: Sep 25, 2007
The Weakerthans: Reunion Tour

Reunion Tour showcases The Weakerthans' ability to mix several different genres and make it something beautiful. The band's sound doesn't really progress or change with this album, but the music is satisfying enough to make one (or me, atleast) not even mind it. The only song that I feel isn't up-to-par on this album is "Elegy for Gump Worsley." This song features no singing, as Samson simply reads the lyrics, as a banjo plays in the background. I can see what the band is trying to do here, but I feel that it doesn't really work as well as they'd hoped. Other than that, each song brings a new musical adventure, and the sound of Reunion Tour is very enjoyable.

You get what you expect, and even moreso, with Reunion Tour. John K. Samson's unique insights and lyrical abilities continue to amaze me, and many others with every new album. Samson's voice, as always, brings a reassuring, mellow tone to the album, while matching the lyrics and music perfectly.

This album was just released, and right now, I can't really see any automatic classics, such as "Aside" or "The Reasons", however, the CD is extremely solid all the way through. Songs like "Civil Twilight", "Relative Surplus Value", "Tournament of Hearts", "Virtute the Cat Explains Her Departure" (yes, it is a continuation from "Plea From a Cat Named Virtute), and "Utilities" all really stand out. What I really love about Reunion Tour is how The Weakerthans have maintained their consitently unique sound. If you have enjoyed any of The Weakerthans' previous work, I highly suggest picking up this album.

eskycorp
    Agree with the review. This is the first Weakerthans album I've heard and I like what I'm hearing.
    TheKingisDead
    It definitely didn't live up to Reconstruction Site. But then again, I didn't really expect it to. It seemed like Samson is getting bored and just trying to write weirder songs, such as 'Gump Worsley'. But I agree, a lot of the tracks are very solid.
    Baby Kid
    By far their best album, beside "Elegy For Gump Worsley" and "Bigfoot!". I'm not saying their previous albums are not good, they all kick ass. The Weakerthans are in my top 5 bands of all time.
    Brandon860
    Reconstruction Site wins over this album from technical stand point, but lyric wise it's a real toss up. Writing reminiscent of Fallow, Samson shows he truly is a Canadian literary king.
    Whoabot
    "Elegy for Gump Worsley" is an odd one, but silly nonetheless. I wonder if the couple of you know who he was? I really liked "Bigfoot" as well as the rest of the album. I think "Virtute the Cat Explains Her Departure" might me the most depressing song I've ever heard.
    Michael Tobin
    the last last one is not even a song on this album. its from their debut way back from the nineties called "fallow".
    anthonyK
    Reconstruct site was better but this album is great too. I love utilities