Polarity review by The Wedding

• Released: Apr 17, 2007
The Wedding: Polarity

On the self titled CD their sound had more of a punk influence, but this CD is a lot heavier. Also on this CD they moved their old bassist, Cody, to second guitar and Jeremy moved in on bass. Joe from Sky Harbor is also their new drummer. 01. Say Your Prayers - a good opening riff that is repeated with bass throughout the verses. The drumming on this track is insane. Lyrics are impressive and can make you think if you look into it. 02. I'll Sleep When I'm Dead - a cool bagpipe opening goes into a steady intro which heads into a high-paced verse filled with gang vocals and a strong vocal performance. The bridge slows things down before they go into a heavy outro. 03. Staring At The Light - this is a good way to show the two guitar sound of the band. A high repeated chord with a heavy rhythm leads you through the intro and then also into a heavy verse. Soft picking leads into the chorus. A one chord rhythm throughout the bridge seems boring but the lead part makes up for it. 04. This One's For You - Kevin starts to show us his piano skills in this song. It begins with vocals and a piano intro which transitions into a guitar matching what the piano played. 4 chord verses lead us back into a chorus where both the piano and guitars play at the same time. The bridge slows down with some cool drumming and more piano. The solo at the end fits the song perfectly and is a great ending. This is my favorite song on the album. 05. I-540 - this song is a great follow up to This One's for You. Kevin shows us his voice in this song, along with great piano skills. It's piano for most of it, but has some guitar at the end. 06. It's Time To Rock - the first song I heard from the album. It was definetly different from the self titled. It took a few listens, but became a favorite right away. Strong vocals and a guitar that starts and plays the same riff until the chorus. Cody's brother Justin Driggers does the screaming part. 07. Rebound - not much changes from the song on the Rumble in the South EP. A new lead part is added in the beginning. The bridge has a shorter lead riff and sounds a lot heavier. 08. Schizophrenia - the guitars are just as complicated as the name. A piano lead quickly leads into a hard rocking intro that leads into bass only verses. The guitar in the bridge matches the piano part played at the beginning of the song. A heavy outro and the song ends with a long bit of weird effects. 09. Last Stand - this is my least favorite song on the cd. It's not bad, but something about it doesn't make it stand out more than some of the others. A cool opening riff does through the bridges and gets to the chorus. This song is filled with Hey! chants. Chorus is pretty short and goes into the verse again. Bridge starts off slow and goes into a cool breakdown part with mainly drums and Whoa's from backup vocals. 10. Misery Loves Company - one of the best songs on the cd. An amazing opening riff goes into a verse filled with a cool guitar effect and the best vocal performance I've ever seen out of Kevin. A great chorus and another verse go into a heavy bridge. A drum fill and off into the chorus again but not ending without the heavy bridge once again. 11. Southside - a crystal clean guitar effect during the verse is the only thing different from the EP version. 12. Revelation - it took me a while to get into this track, but once I did I couldn't stop listening. It's another piano track with Kevin singing about what I think is his wedding. 13. Fireworks - this song is way different than the old Wedding and the new Wedding. This is a country song that goes through a cool chorus but the fiddle solo in the end is a great way to cap off the song and the cd. Once you roll through about 8 minutes of silence you get to an acoustic track of all 5 of them going through and telling a story about Arkansas.

The lyrics on this record are superb and thought is obviously put into every line. Some of the best lyrics come in I-540, Revelation, Say Your Prayers and Staring at the Light. My favorite line comes out of I-540. "And the truth of it is/ we are still just kids/ but we'll tear the world wipe open."

I've never heard anything like this. It's a great style between a great group of guys and you shouldn't expect anything less. These guys have a great future ahead of them. There aren't any songs to me that stick out more than others. The Last Stand is still my least favorite, but everything else I couldn't enjoy more. The guitars are heavy, but not extremely heavy. Effects are used in the right place, and the bass work is pretty good. I'd say vocals and lyrics are the most impressive on the record.

ReeseKillsHIV
    One of the better bands from my home state...but, it's gonna take a lot to erase the ultimate shame: Evanescence.
    nfgrox312
    yes they're christian. hints of pop-punk in their debut album, but definetly not this one except this one's for you. they're definetly not emo.
    tacobell444
    i saw them in concert last year at a little local joint, i thought they were pretty decent
    rokrdude
    yah. the vocals have definatley changed for the better. the were good on the firt album. the album transition kinda reminds me of switchfoot going from pretty good nothing is sound to an amazing oh gravity, ayways thats my 2 cents, abd i really liked there older album and when i heard this i was blown away!! i love the bgpipe thingy at the begining of ill sleep wen im dead
    Spankage
    personly i think that The Last Stand is one of the best songs on the cd....
    Guitarman479
    this is one of my favorite bands. everything about them is great, and the lyrics and guitar are amazing. you couldn't ask for a better band.
    ryanjd
    I'm a big into listening to music. I listen to a lot of different stuff. And I mean it when I tell you, this album as a whole, is one of my favorite albums of all time. Like, top 10 for me personally. Not because the guitarists have amazing technical proficiency, or Kevin has an incredible range. Nothing like that. I love this album because it means something to me personally. And I'm a big fan of the themes and the uplifting messages from these songs. Another aspect I adore about this album is the variety they throw at you. From bagpipes, to a fiddle solo, a few breakdowns, to piano ballads and a lot in between. Maybe if you're looking for something amazing, then that is the most impressive attribute of this album, I don't know. But I do know I will always love Polarity, by The Wedding.
    zerodeck
    christian? pop-punk? emo? sounds like a crappy like-13-in-a-dozen band, not really my style