De Stijl review by The White Stripes

• Released: Jun 20, 2000
The White Stripes: De Stijl

This is the second album that the White Stripes put out. It has a pretty big change in sound compared to the first album. This CD has more of a professional quality to it. Of course it still has that nice Blues/Rock feel. Jack has introduced some new instrument to the White Stripes sound. One of which being the cello, heard in "I'm Bound to Pack it Up" and the other being the paino, heard in "Apple Blossom" and "Truth Doesn't Make a Noise". These two instrument definitely played a huge role in giving this CD a fuller sound. Jack White also covers two songs on this album, "Death Letter" Orginally recorded by: Son House; and "Your Southern Can Is Mine" Orginally recorded by: Blind Willie McTell. "Your Southern Can Is Mine" has a down south Country feel while "Death Letter" has an all around Blues feel. Jack did an increadable job covering these songs, as well as every other song on this album.

In my opinion the lyrics were pretty amazing on this album. Jack definitely got a lot more creative with the lyrics on this album than on the first. This CD makes the most sense to me lyrically. Everything Jack White sings about on this album I can pretty much relate to. I thought songs like "Sister, Do You Know My Name?" and "Truth Doesn't Make a Noise" had awesome lyrics. I also found Jack Whites singing to be increadable on this album. Jacks vocals sounded great whether he was singing a blues song, a country song, with distorted guitars or with acousitcs.

Overall this was a great album. It's probably my favorite of all the White Stripes albums. There was not one song I didn't like on this CD. Personally I don't think this album get the recognition it deserves. I would definitely buy this CD again if it were ever lost or stolen.

sadindian88
    Me too!
    The Ghostwriter
    sadindian88 wrote: TJgreenwood wrote: yaymusic wrote: why doesn't anyone else like hello operator??? actually i do Me too!
    Count me in.