Elephant review by The White Stripes

• Released: Mar 19, 2003
The White Stripes: Elephant

The sound is great-you can hear the faint analog buzzing in the background, which gives it a classic rock sound. I love the way this is recorded- just pure, unedited, unchanged music. No computers were involved in the recording, and it was done in only a few days- the entire album has a very "laid-back" sound to it. Jack White is a fantastic guitarist and singer, and he can go from hard rock ("Ball and Biscuit") to soft rock ("I Want To Be The Boy"). It has a little something for everybody, including some alt-country tracks, and a lot of indie rock. Fantastic sound.

The entire CD has a deep meaning to it...to "get" it, you have to read the CD jacket notes about the "Death of the Sweetheart". The lyrics are poetic and amazing, especially on tracks like "You've Got Her In Your Pocket". The songs seem to have a clear meaning, but they blend together to create what Jack intended- a classic rock album with a simple but perfected sound.

I've heard other Stripes songs (Fell In Love With A Girl, Hello Operator, Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground), and while they're all fine and good, this album just leaves you wanting more. This is as good as the White Stripes have ever gotten, and is- dare I say it- my favorite album of all time. My favorite songs are I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself, You've Got Her In Your Pocket, I Want To Be the Boy, Ball and Biscuit, Little Acorns, and The Air Near My Fingers. Nope, I didn't say Seven Nation Army- it was WAY overplayed and got old after a while, whereas those songs never will.