Elephant review by The White Stripes

• Released: Mar 19, 2003
The White Stripes: Elephant

This off-beat duo from Detroit were one of the odd success stories of 2003, and this record is true testament to Jack White's ability to leave his guitar burning like a cigarette on a gravel road. Along with drummer Meg White, who literally leaves shards of cymbals flying through the air at light-speed as she plays, they make up one of the greatest bands around. The duo's approach to saving rock as we know it deserves kudos galore, and the album's innovative, atmospheric sound should be worshipped. The stylistic diversities of songs such as "Black Math", and "You've Got Her In Your Pocket" are excellent.

With inventive, hallucinogenic lines (with head room to spare) such as "I'm bleeding right before the lord" and "I had a brain that felt like pancake batter", Jack White's affinity for the obscure yet not overly weird should not be missed. And this fits nicely within the open confines of the fuzz-guitar glory blazing through the air like a flaming chariot. Jack White also more than suffices for a singer.

This album more than compared to the other albums and artists of 2003, such as the worst, (at least to this critic) Clay Aiken, and the best, such as The Strokes second album, Room On Fire, and Fountains of Wayne's Welcome Interstate Managers. The most impressive song is "There's No Home For You Here", which amasses one of the most effects-riddled solos ever, but my qualm is the sometimes repetitious sound, which seems to ride new artists (especially Clay Aiken) wherever they go musically. I would buy this record. I am forever indebted to Jack White.