Elephant review by The White Stripes

• Released: Mar 19, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
The White Stripes: Elephant

The sound of The White Stripes is definitely unique. They use a lot of strange effects and noises that you don't normally hear from a lot of bands. For example, in the song "There's No Home For You Here," there is an ear-piercingly loud screeching noise about halfway through the song. Also, in songs like "Seven Nation Army," there is a squealing effect used with the guitar. There is definitely a diversity in the sound. While some songs are definitely more "rock", a few of them are a lot slower, and softer. However, some songs do sound a lot like other popular songs today.

The lyrics are interesting, to say the least. A lot of them are very strange, and don't make a whole lot of sense to me. However, they are original, and really aren't like anything else that I've ever heard. The singer has a very unique voice, and isn't too bad. He has a kind of a scratchy high voice in most of the songs, and it is a nice alternative to what I usually hear. But I find that after a while, it becomes irritating, as his voice is so unusual.

This is a very different album, and is, for the most part, a lot different than other artists. I bought this CD because I liked the song "Seven Nation Army." I would say that song, as well as "The Hardest Button To Button" are probably the two best songs on the CD. I don't care too much for most of the other ones. I really love how most of their songs are very original, but I hate how annoying some of the songs get, as I get tired of all of the screeching. If it were stolen, I would go with something else. I really didn't like the CD much at all, and I wouldn't recommend that anyone buys it, unless you have already heard some of the other songs. This album is different in it's own way. However, being "different" is only good to some extent.