Get Behind Me Satan review by The White Stripes

• Released: Jun 6, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
The White Stripes: Get Behind Me Satan

I'm a very big 'White Stripes' fan. I own all of their previous CD's and have enjoyed every little bit of them. "Get Behind Me Satan" however, turns me away from them. This CD is completely opposite of what I would consider to be 'White Stripes' material. It's obvious Jack and Meg wanted it to be like this, but why? This is barely garage rock, it's a mix of sounds, the Miraca appears on almost all the tracks.

Well no complaints here. Jack's writing style is still top notch. He is definitely different in his lyric writing. His voice is still the same, nothing weird here. Blue Orchid seemed to be more higer pitched than most of his recordings.

The other albums are far better (to me anyway). I was hoping that there would be some catchy electric guitar riffs going on here, but no. I hoped to find more classics like Death Letter, Astro, Black Math etc. but came up with nothing. In fact Jack barely uses his electric, almost all the riffs are exactly the same (1 chord being struck as meg bangs the same on the drums, thats it). If this CD was stolen I would be angry I got something stolen, not because they took my 'Get Behind Me' CD. For their fifth album they have taken the band in a completely new direction. This is not the same White Stripes we've known the last couple years. I hope their next CD (if it happens) touches more base with their first 4, because I will be cautious before I pick it up.